Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   Silencer for Ruger Super Redhawk? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/silencer-ruger-super-redhawk-20665/)

fish 12-02-2009 04:55 PM

Silencer for Ruger Super Redhawk?

Hi all. First post here.

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag, 9" barrel, with a Nikon scope which I use to deer hunt. However, I am bothered by the fact that my gun is soo loud, my ears ring if I shoot without hearing protection (which I do only when hunting). Does anyone have any experience with putting a silencer on a big revolver such as this?

I would appreciate your thoughts or links to where I could get more information about this.

2hot2handle 12-02-2009 05:00 PM

While you are waitifor some one with some experience to drop in on this thread and help you out. Why don't you stop by the introductions area and let us know a little bit more about you?

jpattersonnh 12-02-2009 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fish (Post 193221)
Hi all. First post here.

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag, 9" barrel, with a Nikon scope which I use to deer hunt. However, I am bothered by the fact that my gun is soo loud, my ears ring if I shoot without hearing protection (which I do only when hunting). Does anyone have any experience with putting a silencer on a big revolver such as this?

I would appreciate your thoughts or links to where I could get more information about this.

Silencers are pretty useless on revolvers since you have a gap between the cylinder and barrel. Not worth the hassle.

fish 12-02-2009 05:13 PM

I had thought about this....

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 193224)
Silencers are pretty useless on revolvers since you have a gap between the cylinder and barrel. Not worth the hassle.

I did think about this, and this issue is one of my questions regarding the whole idea. I assume a silencer would decrease the noise at least?

masterPsmith 12-02-2009 05:20 PM

It is useless, illegal in most States and should not even be discussed in this forum..We don't even know who this guy is....

Jim.............

fish 12-02-2009 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2hot2handle (Post 193222)
While you are waitifor some one with some experience to drop in on this thread and help you out. Why don't you stop by the introductions area and let us know a little bit more about you?

With your suggestion, I've added a post to the into forum. Hope I'm following procedure?

2hot2handle 12-02-2009 05:26 PM

Now you are. No worrys.

fish 12-02-2009 05:29 PM

Illegal?

Quote:

Originally Posted by masterPsmith (Post 193232)
It is useless, illegal in most States and should not even be discussed in this forum..We don't even know who this guy is....

Jim.............

I realize you don't know who I am yet. This is my first post, so it kinda goes without saying...

I did a google search, and it seems that you can fill out a little paperwork, and be legal with a suppressor. If I suppressor/silencer is not out of my budget, I probably wouldn't mind filling out a little paperwork. I certainly don't have anything to hide (deer antlers?)...

MB44 12-02-2009 05:34 PM

Hi Fish

As posted by others here in the forum, the silencer is useless on a revolver, try a pair of electronic amplified ear muffs, something like these:
Radians HE4B00CS Hunters Ear Muff w/Independent Volume Control Receiver & Amplifier, NRR 85 dB, Moss

fish 12-02-2009 05:47 PM

directional hearing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MB44 (Post 193241)
Hi Fish

As posted by others here in the forum, the silencer is useless on a revolver, try a pair of electronic amplified ear muffs, something like these:
Radians HE4B00CS Hunters Ear Muff w/Independent Volume Control Receiver & Amplifier, NRR 85 dB, Moss

My Dad and brother had some like this, though with less microphones. Would this kind with 4 mics allow for directional hearing? I'd be surprised if you could tell the difference in a sound 40 yards away, and one 2 yards away, as you usually can while hunting.