Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > should i trade?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2014, 02:15 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 884 Times on 497 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
i would like to clear up that he only offered me choice on the taurus or rossi not both, sorry for the mix up. thanks
In that case.....H*ll no......

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Old 06-12-2014, 02:32 AM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

old fart,

I would not trade it either. The spots on the metal are simply where the light rust penetrated the bluing and is not a part of the actual metal itself. I had a S&W do that one time. Looked like little bare or shiny spots on the gun! I did send it back to Smith and they did a fantastic job. This occurred one night when I was on duty on a rainy night and forgot to take the revolver out of the holster when I go home that night! I would keep it oiled if I were you. If you do not want to spend the money for blueing you could always have it parkerized. It is very inexpensive to do. The gun would be a dull finish but the metal would be completely covered and protected. Only a thought!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-12-2014, 09:59 AM   #13
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2751 Times on 1595 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

Usually, in a trade, I have always come up short from what I had before.

Keep it and buy a Rossi/Taurus to increase the fun factor at the range.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #14

Liked 1764 Times on 983 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

I have a bunch of Ruger revolvers. I would not trade any one of them for 5 Taurus guns.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #15

Liked 20 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

thanks everyone, i told him this morning that i will keep my ruger. i went and got some barricade and my local shop, it was the best rust preventive they had is what the shop owner said. thanks again

Old 06-13-2014, 12:01 AM   #16

Liked 901 Times on 474 Posts
Likes Given: 635

Not on a dare. A Ruger for a Taurus is crazy.

USMC 74-78

Old 06-15-2014, 02:24 AM   #17

Liked 103 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
i have a blued police service six made in 1985, it has just very minor frecks of rust spots or some little specks of something in with the bluing. i've used oil 0000 wool, eraser and copper penny. i've got it to the point of it being smooth and i'm keeping it oiled. there is no pitting on the gun at all. the gun has at least 90% bluing left with just a little off at the barrel tip, and locks up solid tight when in firing position. i contacted the previous owner who admitted he kept it in a leather holster which caused the rust, he bought it new and said less than 2000 rds have been thru it. i can't afford a new reblue job as i'm on a fixed income and making ends meet is hard enough. my neighbor has offered me a trade, he has a taurus 65 stainless and a rossi stainless both with 4 inch barrel. they look good but don't lock up as tight as my service six. i love my ruger but it being blued bothers me as i got it to use in the outdoors. i keep it clean and oiled regular so no rust will appear. i've tried to take pics but the rust or whatever the frecks are is so small that it won't show them. everything on the gun is now smooth and running my fingers over the spots, nothing can be felt. i want to keep my service six but rust bothers me, if i knew it wouldn't come back i'd be ok with it, i keep it well oiled. so for those on here what would you do? if you couldn't get it reblued would you keep the ruger or trade? thanks for any help
I would strongly advise AGAINST it. The service six is better than any taurus ever has or will be. Maybe trade for a decent S&W, but only if it was EXACTLY what one wanted.
Old 06-15-2014, 03:39 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1475 Times on 1001 Posts
Likes Given: 512

Old Fart you have already pointed out the issue with braztech revolvers. They have a poor lock up. Poor lock up will eventually lead to safety issues. It is a shame Braztech cannot work out their lock up issues because they make some very accurate revolvers. My father and uncle both have nice S&W revolvers. I tanned their butt with a Rossi snub nose 38spl. The accuracy is no good if it is just a matter of time before you will have lead chunks coming out of the cylinder gap.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato