Should I give revolvers a 2nd chance? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Should I give revolvers a 2nd chance?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

In your criteria from the OP; "Want personal defense/home/ccw." I do not see range gun/plinker anywhere.

Your nightstand gun should be used to get you to your shotgun. If you don't have a shotgun, be sure you're confident with the gun you have.

I own two of the guns you mentioned:

I'd trust my life to both but prefer to shoot the magnum.

The reason I mention that is because of your other statement, "I just dont want to wind up with 5 guns..." which answers why most of us have 5 guns. (or more........many more)

There isn't a "perfect gun", and the one with the least compromises to meet my requirements probably won't even show up on your radar.

Don't spend a lot of time looking for that "perfect gun" because you'll go unarmed for a long time. Throw in the force multiplier of your wife sharing the criteria and you may never get a gun.

FOCUS on what you want to accomplish and base your choice on that. If you do you will be happy until you find the world of handgun ownership is multi-faceted and you'll be off on the search for your next gun.

Trust me on this one!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #22
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grog
I could not see the sights at all...completely useless with a black target
Hi-Viz front sight for the LCR. About $28.displaypic.aspx.jpg

There is a new model LCR with Front Night sight.5403.jpg

Last edited by Shihan; 05-18-2010 at 11:21 PM.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:13 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
Hi-Viz front sight for the LCR. About $28.Attachment 14493

There is a new model LCR with Front Night sight.Attachment 14494
Now thats interesting...Really interesting. I have little experience with guns but was able to hit the target pretty well with anything that I could take my time and use the sights (better than my brother in law whos been shooting for years). The LCR was like shooting blind(for me). Is that an actual model of the LCR or just an accessory? If I could find a range with one of those I would give it another try.

Grog

Old 05-19-2010, 12:21 AM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
Now thats interesting...Really interesting. I have little experience with guns but was able to hit the target pretty well with anything that I could take my time and use the sights (better than my brother in law whos been shooting for years). The LCR was like shooting blind(for me). Is that an actual model of the LCR or just an accessory? If I could find a range with one of those I would give it another try.

Grog
The LCR pictured is a model from Ruger, come with tririum front sight and Hogue boot grip.Ruger LCR with tritium sight and hogue grip

Old 05-19-2010, 12:21 AM   #25

I love and carry a S&W snubby 38. I got my wife the charter arms pink lady. she like shooting my 9mm better but would never feel comfortable keeping one in the chamber and you probably would not have time to rack the action. In her case she has trouble chambering but she is comfortable with the DAO 38 which is quick to action.

Last edited by murraywc; 05-19-2010 at 12:40 AM.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #26

Default J Frame Suprise

I'm an experienced shooter but my first outing with a lightweight J frame (438 Bodyguard) was an experience. I loaded up some light loads to get used to it. My solution was to replace the rubber grips with Pachmyers. They're a lot bigger, but make the gun fun to shoot with standard 38 special ammo.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #27

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Revolvers are absolutely a necessity for every American household. You should definitely give them another go. You mentioned your wife shooting a .357 very comfortably. Like mentioned before the .357 is arguably the most versatile handgun available. .38 special loads are dirt cheap and readily available right now and are extremely comfortable to shoot in a steel framed revolver.

As much as I endorse the Ruger SP101 you'd think I was a salesman or had other motives, but I just LOVE that gun. .38 special loads are smooth as silk and .357 loads (while snappy) are no where close to painful. This is due to the weight of the gun in comparison to some of the lighter framed .38s on the market.

My 2 cents

Old 05-23-2010, 05:24 AM   #28
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 843

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsbakes View Post
As much as I endorse the Ruger SP101 you'd think I was a salesman or had other motives, but I just LOVE that gun. .38 special loads are smooth as silk and .357 loads (while snappy) are no where close to painful. This is due to the weight of the gun in comparison to some of the lighter framed .38s on the market.

My 2 cents
Had my new SP101 back out at the range today. Agreeing with you more and more.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 05-23-2010, 06:16 AM   #29

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Right on! To me there is just something special about this gun. Even when I wear it, it feels like a part of me. I read a few books during my latest revolver quest and they help greatly.

MidwayUSA - Advanced Search

Both are great.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #30

Default S&W model 66 3 to 4 inch barrel is the answer

Hi,
my 2 cents worth is to get a model 66 S&W revolver and shoot .38s through it reliability and recoil is second to none. I learned to shoot on S&W model 10-5 1974, 4 inch nickel 38 police revolver with a custom wooden grip and trigger job.

what a sweet shooting gun and the model 66-7 2.5 inch barrel shoots even better with no recoil. I bought a 357 2 inch new EAA Windicator that shoots nice but the smiths are extremely smooth actions as far as the trigger pull and the sight pictures are a little better with the smiths especially the model 66 nothing better. a new EAA 357 windicator will cost you 300 dollars and will be very good acurate for the money. But the used police model 10 or models 66 wlll be the best gun for the money. FIXED sights for beginers are the best and for me too/