Should I give revolvers a 2nd chance? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Should I give revolvers a 2nd chance?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 02:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I have five semi-autos now and am thinking of a S&W 357 revolver.

Just to be an equal opportunity gun nut.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 05-18-2010, 03:06 PM   #12

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
I have five semi-autos now and am thinking of a S&W 357 revolver.

Just to be an equal opportunity gun nut.
Soon you'll pass me up Jo...

Old 05-18-2010, 03:37 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quite a few people who own J-frames and LCRs don't use them as their primary range guns. They practice a lot on something else and a little on the pocket gun. They typically aren't the most fun to shoot a lot of rounds through. But when the time comes that you really need it, you probably won't even notice the recoil.

If you still want to consider revolvers, look at a Ruger SP101. It's small(ish) but has a heavier frame than the J-frames and the LCR. So it'll be more comfortable to shoot, but heavier to carry.

If you like the Glock 26 and 27 (my wife carries a 27, BTW), those are excellent choices. If you're trying to get the size/weight down a little more, there Kahr and Walther make single-stack, polymer frame pistols that you might want to look at. Also, if you're looking for one gun that both of you can enjoy, you might want to check out the S&W M&P. It has changeable backstraps so you can adjust the size of the grip to better suit you and your wife.

So, it looks like you came here for answers and got more questions.

My last bit of advice is that if you have tried all the guns you are going to be able to try, go with the one that you shot well and that felt good.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 05-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #14

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Soon you'll pass me up Jo...
Not a chance friend. I'm a hoarder. Never sold a gun in my life. I don’t understand you selling trading guys..

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 05-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The Glock 26 is a subcompact 9mm. Take a look at the Glock 19. it's a compact and larger than the 26, but still not as large as the full size model 17. It's my personal opinion that the G19 is the best Glock ever made.

For a revolver, take a look at either a Ruger SP101 or a S&W J frame with a 3" barrel. The SP101 has a 2.25" barrel and is heavier than the J frame Smith. Recoil is lessened by its weight. Both are available in .357 and you can practice with .357's, but shoot mostly .38's to keep costs down a bit.

I am not suggesting anything in .327 magnum as it's still a newer caliber and ammo is a bit pricey.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2995 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 279

I am a revolver fan (I own 9). Revolvers are a good choice for home defense. Simple, reliable, accurate and powerful. The criteria fro a concealed carry revolver are very different than that of a home defense revolver. Smaller is not necessarily better. Smaller means more recoil, shorter sight radius, reduced capacity (5 instead of 6 or 7) too small grips (unless you change them out) and less than ideal trigger.

IMHO a good 4" 6 or 7 shot .357 Magnum is the baseline that everything else is judged from. Every gun collection should have at least one such revolver.

I am certainly not adverse to semi-auto pistols (I have 8). Additional training is needed to gain the confidence (and competence) in the use of a pistol.

Look at a S&W M-65. The 3" version has a round butt and can be made very compact. The 4" version has a square butt the same size as a K or L frame (M-66/M-686) that can be outfitted with a wide variety of grips from compact to very large oversize target type.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #17

I gotta agree with Joe on this one.... If you're comfortable with the autos, and found specific models you both like and are in your price range, I'd roll with it! I'd tell you to stick with snubbies if you said you and your wife loved them and weren't comfy with the autos.... Comfort can play a big roll in early stages of shooting.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #18

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I'm not sure what wear a compressed spring suffers. I'm well known for finding mags that have been loaded for up to a year or more in my safe and I"ll take them out to empty them the fun way. They all have work fine and still do to this day.

As to cleaning I can not understand how cleaning out 5-6 chambers in a cylinder and a barrel is easier than cleaning one. But to each teir own I guess. As to loading I see no way a revolver is easier without a speed loader or moon clips if they are needed.

I will agree that a revolver is pretty easy to shoot and one can get away with substandard cleaning a pretty long time nad have the weapon still function. You also can have revolver specific issues like timing that you will not have with a semi.

The only way to recommend any weapon to any single person is to get as many in their hands as they can. That way they see what fits them the best. I do not believe in the BS about capacity being I have not known anyone personally that has needed a full 9mm mag other than LEO and that is not often. So a 5, 6 round cylinder is fine and you can use a loader in a wheel gun if that is the weapon that fits the shooters needs best. But it all depends on what fits.

All you have on your hands is an overpriced paperweight if the shooter is not 100% comfortable with the weapon. That means platform, caliber, and capacity. And if you can read a manual you can take down about any handgun that is out there to clean and maintain it properly. Look at a Glock, they do not get much easier than that. I learned the ways around a 1911 long before I was old enough to own one.

Bottom line is if you are going to go out to purchase something that can take a life you really owe it to yourself and loved ones to know how to use it. It's not a game and there is no reset. It's a really big deal. While I'm all for people being able to own a firearm they are not for everyone. If one does make the choice to own one (or some) then do what's right. Learn the skills to be able to handle it properly. And be sure to get the right one for you.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:49 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

This is my LCR with crimson trace grips. I bought it as a back-up gun for carry and not a range gun. It is a little hard on the hands to shoot too much, just try the +p's! But, this thing is easy to carry, reliable,and very accurate. The double action trigger can be indexed to single action before firing. It is the smoothest double action trigger I have ever fired.

I would like to get a smith 60 or ruger sp101, but I'll have to wait a while.

If you are going to carry the LCR is hard to beat for a ightweight revolver. If you want a range gun or home defense go with the 60.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #20
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3112 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1322

I have more semi-autos than revolvers, and I agree with going with what you like and are comfortable with. Each platform has good points and bad. Safety and knowledge are more important that 5 rounds versus 18. Even if you don't carry concealed, I would recommend a firearms course.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)