Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Should I give revolvers a 2nd chance?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Should I give revolvers a 2nd chance?

Long story shortened...I have only been shooting 4 times in 30 years. Want personal defense/home/ccw. Wife is interested also. I have big hands. Wife has big hands. Wife does not want shotgun.

We went to a range this weekend and wound up going through a total of 8-9 different guns. Some we rented, some other people rented and one guy brought his...including a S&W 44 (holy poop!!!)

We started with an LCR and a S&W 38 snubbie (I forget the model) with crimson trace grips. I was able to hit the target with the LCR but it was terrible to fire. I could not see the sights at all...completely useless with a black target. The recoil was very unpleasant(this was with 38 rounds not 38+P). The S&W was a little better only because it had a laser. My wife hated them and I did not like them either. I really appreciate the advice to go and fire some guns.

Round 2 was a S&W 10mm pistol ( I think...it was my buddies) and .357 model 60-3 inch barrel. Much better. My wife shot the 357 very well with no discomfort. The pistol seemed big and heavy but ok.

Round 3 was a Glock 26 and 27. Now we're talking. I can group in a 5 inch circle at about 1/3 range length(I dont know how far...experienced buddy set the distance) and hit the sillouette consistantly at 2/3 range length. My buddy (21 years in the Army) was very impressed and says we know what I like. Very nice, fun to shoot, can see sights easily with both.

Round 4, S&W M&P 40 full size with crimson trace and THE 44. My wife shot the M&P very well. She had one series of shots with a grouping the size of a coffee cup (about 6 inches off center)...I shot it about the same as the Glocks but the laser was a little distracting.

The 44 mag was just insane. Half the people in the range stopped shooting and watched. I wish we would have taped shooting it.

Just think how long the long version would have been...sorry.

Here is my question. Should I give the snubbies another chance? They were the first guns we shot but neither of us liked them...at all...but they sure are small.

Grog

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-18-2010, 12:58 PM   #2

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Snubbies are an acquired taste and they are not meant to be fun range guns. No little gun with hot ammo is particularly fun to shoot but they do serve a great purpose. Since you want a single gun for multiple uses, some compromise will be necessary. Perhaps you should split the difference between a full size and a snubbie and look at a 3 inch revolver. Easier to control than a snubbie and not terribly difficult to conceal. A good .357 Magnum gives you a lot of options ammo wise from light .38 Specials to full house .357 Magnum loads. Here's the gun I've owned the longest in my collection (an inside joke), a S&W 686+ 7 shot, 3 inch .357 Magnum...

Old 05-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2273 Times on 1359 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

You could purchase after market grips to try and have a snubbie work for you. I have found that a revolver is great for someone who does not want to become an expert, but still has a requirement for a firearm. Cleaning is easier, loading is easier, no thumb safety, cheaper investment, and can keep loaded without worrying about spring compression. If you become well versed in handguns (and are willing to put in the time and effort), then by all means, go semi-auto.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 05-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Cleaning is easier, loading is easier, cheaper investment, and can keep loaded without worrying about spring compression.
Can't really agree with any of these statements as revolvers are a PITA to clean, slower to load (without speedloaders), good ones are expensive, and mag springs don't suffer from compression. Sorry to be critical but facts is facts...

Last edited by NGIB; 05-18-2010 at 01:07 PM.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

If you like the autos, shoot well with the autos, and have a wife comfortable qwith an auto, what's the problem???

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 05-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #6

We did shoot the S&W 357 model 60 with a 3 inch barrel. It looked very similar to your photo. A very nice gun. My wife would be ok with that one.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
We did shoot the S&W 357 model 60 with a 3 inch barrel. It looked very similar to your photo. A very nice gun. My wife would be ok with that one.
The S&W 60 is a J-frame and mine is an K/L frame. Main difference is a bit of size and weight and the fact that K/L frame triggers are much smoother than J-frames as they use a leaf vs a coil mainspring. As Jo said, if you're happy with a semi-auto then by all means get one. I have both and my home defense guns are both revolvers...

Old 05-18-2010, 01:25 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog View Post
That's a great gun. J frames are very easy to carry, and the 3" versions are easier to control and take better advantage of the .357 rounds. If you like that one, you might one to try a Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel. It's a bit bigger and heavier, built like a tank.

Like NGIB said, the 686 he showed is a good deal larger than a J frame model 60.

Here's a pic of a J frame (640) and a 4" 686, so you can see the size difference.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 05-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #9

Liked 97 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The only thing I'll add is that you can carry in you pocket with one of the concealed hammer/hammerless snubbies and in an emergency actually fire it without removing it from your pocket without having it jam.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
If you like the autos, shoot well with the autos, and have a wife comfortable qwith an auto, what's the problem???
I just wasnt sure we gave the 38's a fair chance. First time at a range in at least15 years and we (I) figured to start small and work our way up. I can tell you that my buddys (army 21 years) daughter (who is 13) tried the LCR and one shot caused her pain. Her smallish hand turned red and swelled up with a noticable red mark. She wound up not shooting anything else.

I just dont want to wind up with 5 guns...at least not yet.

Grog