Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   To Shoot or Not to Shoot (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/shoot-not-shoot-77743/)

jcd390 12-05-2012 02:59 AM

To Shoot or Not to Shoot

1 Attachment(s)
I have been having this gun in my possession since my Grandfather passed and I am now getting the itch to shoot it and share the experience with my son as he gets older. So, what would you do.......Shoot it or Not?

Rick1967 12-05-2012 03:01 AM

Is that a Ruger?

Squawk 12-05-2012 03:02 AM

Part of me would want to shoot it. The other part would not want to risk tarnishing such a fine looking revolver. I would suggest taking it to a gunsmith and having it inspected before shooting it. It probably hasn't had a round down the barrel in sometime.

jcd390 12-05-2012 03:09 AM

Its a Colt .45 Ned Buntline Commemorative.

hiwall 12-05-2012 03:57 AM

You are the only one who can decide if you should shoot it or not. Might lower the value a hundred or so. If you think you would enjoy shooting it then shoot it.

rhyno13 12-05-2012 04:03 AM

If it were mine, it would stay in the case and continue to look pristine.

trip286 12-05-2012 04:08 AM

I won't own a gun I won't shoot. I like bling too. I'm one of those, that if I had the money, I'd get the fanciest, prettiest guns ever made, and I'd have to put a few down the pipe. Maybe not every range trip, but you'd better believe it will get shot at least once. In some cases, depending on the gun, ONLY once.

That's the category I would personally put yours in. One full loading. Six shots. Then I'd clean it, gently and with tender loving care before putting it away again.

Now, if that were a .44 mag (I assume its .45 Colt? Never mind, I reread your post) I'd have to shoot that SOB as often as possible just for the "holy sh!t this is cool!" Factor.

c3shooter 12-05-2012 04:46 AM

The value of commemoratives, such as your, is based on unfired condition. Shoot it, and you have the lesser value of a shooter. If it is unfired, choose wisely.

danf_fl 12-05-2012 09:59 AM

It sounds like you are (and rightly so) going to keep that in the family.

Would it make a difference to you if you pass along a firearm that was not shot outside the plant, or one that was?

What's a couple of C-notes on a family heirloom?

(If you do decide to shoot, have it checked out first. Also get as much documentation as you can. Write a letter on who gave it to you, the history of the firearm to include the serial no, and have the letter notarized.)

John_Deer 12-05-2012 02:54 PM

If there is no doubt the gun has never been fired I would not shoot it. If it is obvious the gun has been fired I would have fun with it. Provided you don't handle the gun in a rough manner it won't hurt a thing.

I have a pair of Colt Diamondback I had not shot in years. When I did decide to shoot them I had to take them to the shop before I could shoot them. The barrel was loose on the 22LR and needed the cylinder gap set properly. Everything about the cylinder on the 38 spl was gummed up. The guns appeared to be in new condition. After 15 years in the safe both guns had canabalized for lack of a better term. The repairs cost less than $120 and both guns really looked like new when they came back from the shop.

Many people would have tried to fix these guns on their own. Unless you have all the proper tools to work on a revolver it's best to leave repairs to the pro's. Every screw you disfigure and every mark you put on a gun devalues the gun greatly.