Serrated Triggers?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

Serrated Triggers?


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2015, 11:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 376
Liked 86 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Serrated Triggers?

Yran 250 rounds through my Model 66 which has the skinny serrated trigger. Probably 235 of those shots were double action combat type shooting.

I didnt notice it until I was done but I wore a hole through the side of my finger.

This has REALLY got me thinking about grinding off the serrations and having a smooth trigger. I'm pretty handy and dont doubt that I could do a decent job on this but....

Is this going to kill the value of a 66 no-dash, or do people not really even know/care? the gun is by no means mint condition anyway and has some minor pitting under the grips. It looks good and functions great but it's not some collectors piece, I bought it to use it, carry it, train with it, and use it some more. Is there any real reason NOT to make a modification that will increase its usability and function for me?
__________________
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper
Dr. Marneaus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 07-21-2015, 12:43 AM   #2
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
c3shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Third bunker on the right,Central Virginia
Posts: 18,340
Liked 10955 Times on 4746 Posts
Likes Given: 1800

Default

Long ago I took a brand new- still-in-the-box Model 10 to the Academy range. Between trigger and hammer, developed bloody fingers. OUCH!

Yes, fiddling with the trigger will lower value. However, replacing it with a smooth trigger (and keeping original on hand)- not so much.


And for $22 you can buy a smooth Tyler trigger shoe.


http://www.t-grips.com/SandWtriggers.html
__________________
What we have here is... failure- to communicate.
c3shooter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:12 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 376
Liked 86 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Long ago I took a brand new- still-in-the-box Model 10 to the Academy range. Between trigger and hammer, developed bloody fingers. OUCH!

Yes, fiddling with the trigger will lower value. However, replacing it with a smooth trigger (and keeping original on hand)- not so much.


And for $22 you can buy a smooth Tyler trigger shoe.


http://www.t-grips.com/SandWtriggers.html
That trigger shoe may be a viable option.

I'm not going to buy a new trigger and pay a gunsmith to install it just so I can keep my old one on hand. That is coat preventative in this situation
__________________
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper
Dr. Marneaus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:43 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 17
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Serrated triggers are great for single action or target shooting but suck for double action shooting. The best advice is to buy a smooth trigger and put it in. It really is not that hard. But if you don't have the ability the smooth trigger shoe is an option. But you still will have the serrated center. I will help you if you want to try to install a smooth trigger, just email me and we can set up a call.
__________________
NRA Life member
NRA Pistol Instructor
Navy Veteran
tlay is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:51 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 376
Liked 86 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlay View Post
Serrated triggers are great for single action or target shooting but suck for double action shooting. The best advice is to buy a smooth trigger and put it in. It really is not that hard. But if you don't have the ability the smooth trigger shoe is an option. But you still will have the serrated center. I will help you if you want to try to install a smooth trigger, just email me and we can set up a call.
I would be fine installing the actual trigger but I am concerned with how to fit it to the sear. I think that would need somebody more skilled than I
__________________
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper
Dr. Marneaus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:39 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 17
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

If you buy the matching hammer and trigger from any earlier K frame you will be o.k. I just did a model 66 for a friend with the same thing. The hammer and trigger are color case hardened and the gun now looks like an early nickel model 19! I buffed the stainless steel until it shines.
__________________
NRA Life member
NRA Pistol Instructor
Navy Veteran
tlay is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 07:09 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sniper03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,225
Liked 3688 Times on 1776 Posts
Likes Given: 1816

Default

Dr,

Sure shouldn't be any problem smoothing off the surface of your existing trigger. With a little grinding with a Dremel and some precision filing and some emery cloth to polish it smooth. But they do make a Smooth Trigger for the K Frame. They come in a target wide trigger or a standard width trigger. I have had both but prefer the standard thickness smooth trigger. In the past I have had them on both the K Frame Revolvers and also an N Frames. I prefer them over the standard serrated triggers.

03
__________________
The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy
Sniper03 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 679
Liked 225 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default

To each his own. Factory installed a serrated trigger, once when they sent the Trooper back. I hated it and back it went. The sharp edges bothered my finger to no end, double action especially.
tinbucket is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:22 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 376
Liked 86 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbucket View Post
To each his own. Factory installed a serrated trigger, once when they sent the Trooper back. I hated it and back it went. The sharp edges bothered my finger to no end, double action especially.
Yup, I mean i'm not a wimp but after 200+ rounds in double action my finger was blistered and then it popped when i wahsed my hands.
__________________
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper
Dr. Marneaus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:23 PM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dr. Marneaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 376
Liked 86 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Dr,

Sure shouldn't be any problem smoothing off the surface of your existing trigger. With a little grinding with a Dremel and some precision filing and some emery cloth to polish it smooth. But they do make a Smooth Trigger for the K Frame. They come in a target wide trigger or a standard width trigger. I have had both but prefer the standard thickness smooth trigger. In the past I have had them on both the K Frame Revolvers and also an N Frames. I prefer them over the standard serrated triggers.

03
That sounds like a good idea.

A retired gunsmith I know said that they would still need to be fitted to my frame though :-(
__________________
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Andrew - Landscape architecture student. Not landscaper
Dr. Marneaus is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Serrated or Fine edge for a Survival Knife? indyfan Other Weapons 13 07-26-2012 12:05 AM
AR triggers Wi_Hunter556 AR-15 Discussion 7 02-17-2012 05:33 AM
triggers moneymaker17 AR-15 Discussion 7 09-28-2011 07:09 AM



Newest Threads