Self Defense Revolvers for Woman? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Self Defense Revolvers for Woman?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
Whoa, Newbie! Take an enema and loosen up that clog.
Noob? This entire SITE is a noob. Still, if you disagree with my statements, explain why and provide supporting evidence. Can't do that, Sport?

ETA: Why are you interested in my bowels anyway? Weird.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSSFLY View Post
Untrue if the lady knows what shes doing (wont elaborate more than that)-
Women dress a little different than men if you have'nt noticed (judgeing from your avator you don't pay much attention to that sort of thing )
Its hard for a women to carry "holstered" in the same manner us guys do -
Maybe you should elaborate so you don't look like a typical ignorant gunshop troglodyte.

Purse carry is bad for anyone but sometimes necessary. I carried in a purse for a while when the dress code at work made it possible that I might be made. Not ideal but better than being completely unarmed. A strong side holster is better for ANYONE, male or female, BS chauvinism notwithstanding. Do some women wear clothing that prohibits a proper holster? Yes. Are they incapable of changing their manner of dress? No. My wife carries a G27 IWB most of the time and sometimes an XD .45 or S&W 4" Model 13. The only time we ever seriously considered purse carry was when she was pregnant. Still, we preferred pocket carrying a smaller piece over the risk of purse carry.

As for the avatar thing, this whole newfangled internet thing seems to be about as confusing to you as wimmen folk showing ankles and voting.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Does it matter? If she can fire it and hit what she's aiming at, I don't care if she's got her hair in curlers and a ham sandwich in both hands and somehow firing a gun by using a provocative hip thrust. A win is a win.
You are correct, sir.

If she's comfortable and proficient in DA, that's ALL that matters. If she is accustomed to shooting on a square range and accomplishing her hits by thumb cocking, that is less than ideal as she may have difficulty getting hits fast enough in combat. I suspect this is not the case, given her service to the nation and her long familiarity with revolvers.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #44

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden

You are correct, sir.

If she's comfortable and proficient in DA, that's ALL that matters. If she is accustomed to shooting on a square range and accomplishing her hits by thumb cocking, that is less than ideal as she may have difficulty getting hits fast enough in combat. I suspect this is not the case, given her service to the nation and her long familiarity with revolvers.
Yeah but she doesn't have the hand strength to rack the slide on a semi auto, so even if she's thumb cocking, its still better than nothing. Unless there is something out there that doesn't fall into either category and I don't know about it.

The handguns I know of are SA and SA/DA revolvers, DAO revolvers, semi auto, and in some hunting applications-single shot pistols. Unless there is something else I'm missing, given her familiarity with the DA revolvers, I would think that would be her best choice, regardless of the method she uses to fire it (by the way, I know there are several different mechanisms to semis, I've lumped them all together only for the purposes if this thread).

FWIW, I think gunsite has a SA revolver combat course, and no, its not a CAS type program. It's a course on using SA revolvers in modern self defense situations. Been some pretty good reviews on it so far, and has instilled confidence in several rag writers on the use of them in self defense scenarios.

Last edited by trip286; 12-09-2011 at 03:04 PM.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:50 AM   #45

I use to carry a Taurus snubbie in .45 Colt and loved it. Cowboy load would provide low recoil practice rounds and there's some pretty good carry ammo out there in that caliber.

And a .45 caliber bore is very intimidating, lol!