Self Defense Revolvers for Woman? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Self Defense Revolvers for Woman?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I won't go into the performance of the 410, or the .45 colt out of the judge because I simply don't know anything about that. But it needs to be pointed out that a DA revolver IS what the lady prefers, and not a semi. She also has much experience with it, and I think she would be fine with any if the models in that style that she is already familiar with, meaning one of them that she has shot and liked in the past.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #32

Liked 57 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
It has been mentioned that she's been shooting revolvers regularly until recently.
Yes, but not whether she was shooting in DA mode or thumb cocking the hammer.

Also, purse carry is a horrible idea. While marginally better than not having a gun, it is VERY dangerous and should be discouraged.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Why does everyone think women need a snubnose? Unless she's going to carry it on her person, she'll shoot a Glock17 ten times better than any Snubby.

Maybe we just stereotype women into cute, traditional guns despite the inadequacies of said guns compared to modern options?
This time ten zillion. People like to repeat what some jackwagon in a gun shop says.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I won't go into the performance of the 410, or the .45 colt out of the judge because I simply don't know anything about that. But it needs to be pointed out that a DA revolver IS what the lady prefers, and not a semi. She also has much experience with it, and I think she would be fine with any if the models in that style that she is already familiar with, meaning one of them that she has shot and liked in the past.
If you read the links I provided, you would know as they detail simple, repeatable experiments performed by a trusted industry source.

You're right on the revolver bit. I hadn't gotten to the part where the OP mentions specifically that his grandmother is proficient with, and prefers DA revolvers. I stand by my assertion that SHE be the one to choose caliber and model.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #35

I carry a Taurus 85 and it is a great carry gun. Now it is a Hammer gun but they do make the Hammer less version also. Now I have never shot a judge but I shoot a LOT of 410 in a Encore and some 45 Colt too. Of course it is a longer barrel but I have no doubt any one hit with a 410 at close range is gonna be hurting especially with today's defense loads made for such use. That website review is flawed as water jugs is not like shooting a person. Two the velocity comment about the three inch barrel does not mean much if your gonna use that excuse then no one would use a snubby either. Three not all pellets hit the target. guess what not all pellets in a shot gun hit the intended game shot either. The Massive Piece of the firearm LOL now your kidding they make smaller judges and they are perfectly concealable. Speaking of Bias seems you have some.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
That was a joke, right? Anyone seriously recommending a .410 bore revolver for defense needs to be beaten severely with a grapefruit in a sock. Even if we ignore for a moment the absolutely dismal terminal performance of .410 as a defensive round ( The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1 & The Box O' Truth #53 - The Taurus Judge, Revisited - Page 1 ) The .45 Colt is barely stabilized by the extremely slow twist of the Taurus barrels and results in abysmal accuracy. Last, but definitely not least, the massive size of the piece makes it entirely inappropriate for CCW for almost anyone.

OP, I recommend the same thing I tell anyone looking for a firearm for another person: Take them to a range where they can rent firearms and let them try as many as possible, without bias from you. Your grandmother needs to choose what works best for HER, independent of your own preconceptions. That may turn out to be an automatic, despite her preference for revolvers. A DA revolver requires significant hand strength to operate.
Whoa, Newbie! Take an enema and loosen up that clog.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #37
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2292 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Have you considered a 44spl? Charter Arms and dare I say Taurus make light snubbies. More recoil than a 38 spl but a little less than a 357. 19-22 oz. I think I would choose the Charter Arms SS @21 oz 2.5". If you are in a heavy clothes winter area the heavier round might be better than a 38 spl.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #38

Liked 2181 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:

Also, purse carry is a horrible idea. While marginally better than not having a gun, it is VERY dangerous and should be discouraged.
Untrue if the lady knows what shes doing (wont elaborate more than that)-
Women dress a little different than men if you have'nt noticed (judgeing from your avator you don't pay much attention to that sort of thing )
Its hard for a women to carry "holstered" in the same manner us guys do -

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Last edited by HOSSFLY; 12-09-2011 at 01:17 AM.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #39

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Does it matter? If she can fire it and hit what she's aiming at, I don't care if she's got her hair in curlers and a ham sandwich in both hands and somehow firing a gun by using a provocative hip thrust. A win is a win.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh45gun View Post
I carry a Taurus 85 and it is a great carry gun. Now it is a Hammer gun but they do make the Hammer less version also. Now I have never shot a judge but I shoot a LOT of 410 in a Encore and some 45 Colt too. Of course it is a longer barrel but I have no doubt any one hit with a 410 at close range is gonna be hurting especially with today's defense loads made for such use. That website review is flawed as water jugs is not like shooting a person. Two the velocity comment about the three inch barrel does not mean much if your gonna use that excuse then no one would use a snubby either. Three not all pellets hit the target. guess what not all pellets in a shot gun hit the intended game shot either. The Massive Piece of the firearm LOL now your kidding they make smaller judges and they are perfectly concealable. Speaking of Bias seems you have some.
Water jugs provide a reasonable and cost effective measure of penetration. The .410, even out of a longer barrel, DOES NOT meet minimum penetration requirements for a human.

Please enlighten me on which Judge model is in the same size envelope as, say, an LCR. The cylinder, by necessity is very long and very wide. Not a good CCW piece in the real world.

Last edited by TylerDurden; 12-09-2011 at 03:15 PM.