Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Self Defense Revolvers for Woman?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 01:09 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I'm with trip and hiwall on this one... The LCR is what my mom is getting for her Christmas gift this year. She normally carried a Ruger .357 Security six (the one I learned to shoot with) when we lived down in Arkansas, on her hip, daily. She now wanted something more compact to carry around the house and property.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:25 AM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Make sure you give her a holster that will work in her purse or a concealed carry purse so she does not destroy a good revolver like my daughter did.
I've already gotten her a Custom Galco purse. I'm covered in that area.

Be polite. Be professional. And have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:44 AM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Why does everyone think women need a snubnose? Unless she's going to carry it on her person, she'll shoot a Glock17 ten times better than any Snubby.

Maybe we just stereotype women into cute, traditional guns despite the inadequacies of said guns compared to modern options?

She's been shooting a .38 special since she enlisted in the Navy in 1950. It's what she prefers. And she shoots them well. Double or single action.

I own a surplus of autos, including several Glocks. One of which I carry daily. She doesn't like them. Can't teach an old dogs new tricks, I guess.

I'm not sure if it's finger strength, a limp wrist, age or a combination of all three, but she struggles with the slide on every auto she picks up. And for that reason alone, I'm not buying her one.

If she can shoot a DA snubbie accurately at 25 yards, I'll feel more than comfortable with one living in her handbag.

And on the note of +p rounds: It's not a requirement that she carries them, but I want to give the old bird every chance she can get. The ballistic advantages aren't dramatic out of a 1 3/4 inch barrel, but they're there.
Which brings me back to the .327 Fed Mag... Everything I've read says the ballitics exceed that of the .38 Special in a short barreled revolver, and has the advantage in an extra round to carry.
Does anyone own/carry one? Or have even shot one?
It being such a newer round, I don't know anyone personally that has.

Last edited by ArmedCitizen; 12-05-2011 at 01:47 AM.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:33 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

If she's planning to shoot it frequently, you might want to check availability of the .327 in your area. I've only read about them, but I have seen that you can shoot a couple of other rounds in it for practice, like shooting .38 special in a .357.

I may have missed someone else recommending this while scanning this thread, but you might look at a Ruger SP101.

Lots of other good recommendations here.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 12-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #25
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1819 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 557

My wife has problems with the DAO triggers too. If you want a revolver check out he Ruger LCR. It has one of the slickest DAO triggers out there but they are ugly.

I traded the wrecked revolver off to someone who wanted to work on it for a project. I did not want to look at it as it would just remind me of how badly she treated it.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 12-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #26

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmedCitizen View Post
If she can shoot a DA snubbie accurately at 25 yards, I'll feel more than comfortable with one living in her handbag.
That is asking a lot from an occasional shooter using a snubby unless you define 'accurately' as being able to hit a body size target.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #27

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

It's already been noted that the lady is/had been a regular shooter since enlisting in the service, I think OP said Navy in the 50's. And noted by the OP that she is accurate at 25 yds with a snubbie, and OP has noted that the lady has not only been a regular shooter lo these many years, but prefers revolvers.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:10 PM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
It's already been noted that the lady is/had been a regular shooter since enlisting in the service, I think OP said Navy in the 50's. And noted by the OP that she is accurate at 25 yds with a snubbie, and OP has noted that the lady has not only been a regular shooter lo these many years, but prefers revolvers.
Right on the money.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #29

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
If the Lady is accurate at 25yrds with a snubbie she can dam well do & shoot whatever she wants

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-08-2011, 03:40 PM   #30

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanBaccha View Post
That was a joke, right? Anyone seriously recommending a .410 bore revolver for defense needs to be beaten severely with a grapefruit in a sock. Even if we ignore for a moment the absolutely dismal terminal performance of .410 as a defensive round ( The Box O' Truth #41 - The Taurus Judge Vs. The Box O' Truth - Page 1 & The Box O' Truth #53 - The Taurus Judge, Revisited - Page 1 ) The .45 Colt is barely stabilized by the extremely slow twist of the Taurus barrels and results in abysmal accuracy. Last, but definitely not least, the massive size of the piece makes it entirely inappropriate for CCW for almost anyone.

OP, I recommend the same thing I tell anyone looking for a firearm for another person: Take them to a range where they can rent firearms and let them try as many as possible, without bias from you. Your grandmother needs to choose what works best for HER, independent of your own preconceptions. That may turn out to be an automatic, despite her preference for revolvers. A DA revolver requires significant hand strength to operate.