Self Defense Revolvers for Woman?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Self Defense Revolvers for Woman?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Self Defense Revolvers for Woman?

First of all, I'm fairly new to the forum; This being the first post I've written.

I'm looking to get my grandmother a hammerless revolver for concealed carry. She's 74 years old, but still incredibly active and pretty much acts half her age. Hence, me wanting her to carry. She has never done so, but is not opposed to the idea and has shot most of her life.

She likes to shoot revolvers, and has shot the few I've had over the years.
I don't own any currently, as I am more fond of autos.
I was actually going to give her one of my sub-compacts, but she doesn't have the finger strength to operate the slide.

Anyway, I've narrowed it down to style and one of two calibers(.38 Special or .327 Fed Mag).
I'm not very familiar with the .327 and have never actually fired the round myself. So any tips there would be helpful.

Any recommendations will also be appreciated.

Be polite. Be professional. And have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Last edited by ArmedCitizen; 12-04-2011 at 10:11 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-04-2011, 10:06 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

How about a Taurus Public Defender?

Click below:

http://youtu.be/ttFslPwNEuc
Taurus Public Defender 410 Ga 2 1/2" Chamber 45 LC 2" Barrel $387.00 SHIPS FREE

Old 12-04-2011, 10:34 PM   #3

Liked 759 Times on 484 Posts
Likes Given: 238

I would suggest the Ruger LCR

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #4

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Smith & Wesson model 36. Like 1911's and Rolex, nothing quite says classic the same way.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:43 PM   #5

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Cheaper than dirt has a charter arms undercover agent in 38 special for about $260. Iv heard that charter makes golun guns. The only one i ever messed with was a 22/22 mag revolver. It shot good and was a pretty good weapon except the sights sucked on it. I sold it for $100 including the belt/holster and the spare wheel.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall
I would suggest the Ruger LCR
Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
Smith & Wesson model 36. Like 1911's and Rolex, nothing quite says classic the same way.
These are both great pistols

Old 12-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2289 Times on 1239 Posts
Likes Given: 669

The Ruger LCR is a good gun but is ugly. Still it has probably the best trigger of the snubbies. The S&W 36 is a classic and they also have the 642 and 442. Lasers are available for all the above. The Charter Arms Pink Lady seems to be very popular with the ladies. One caution; do not buy anything with a muzzle brake. They are loud and only good for 1 shot at night. It will blind you in very low light. I had one and tried it on a dark range. I got rid of it quick.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:09 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The Ruger LCR is a good gun but is ugly. Still it has probably the best trigger of the snubbies. The S&W 36 is a classic and they also have the 642 and 442. Lasers are available for all the above. The Charter Arms Pink Lady seems to be very popular with the ladies. One caution; do not buy anything with a muzzle brake. They are loud and only good for 1 shot at night. It will blind you in very low light. I had one and tried it on a dark range. I got rid of it quick.
A S&W 36 was one of the first pistols I owned. It's pretty much my go-to comparison for snubbies.
I've looked at a few now, two of which were the S&W 442 and the LCR.
I wasn't really impressed with the 442. The LCR, however, really caught my eye. I agree that it's quite ugly, but the trigger pull was very crisp. A key point in what I'm looking for. Other than that, and what I've read online about, which seems hit or miss, is all I know.

Looks do not matter, I guess I should add. Hopefully, it will spend it's life in her purse, only coming out at the range.
It did seem rather light in the weight department. Which is great for carry, but i'm afraid that when I give her a box of +p rounds to fill it with, she might rock her wrist.

Be polite. Be professional. And have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Last edited by ArmedCitizen; 12-04-2011 at 11:12 PM.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:18 PM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2289 Times on 1239 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmedCitizen View Post
A S&W 36 was one of the first pistols I owned. It's pretty much my go-to comparison for snubbies.
I've looked at a few now, two of which were the S&W 442 and the LCR.
I wasn't really impressed with the 442. The LCR, however, really caught my eye. I agree that it's quite ugly, but the trigger pull was very crisp. A key point in what I'm looking for. Other than that, and what I've read online about, which seems hit or miss, is all I know.

Looks do not matter, I guess I should add. Hopefully, it will spend it's life in her purse, only coming out at the range.
It did seem rather light in the weight department. Which is great for carry, but i'm afraid that when I give her a box of +p rounds to fill it with, she might rock her wrist.
Make sure you give her a holster that will work in her purse or a concealed carry purse so she does not destroy a good revolver like my daughter did.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
Make sure you give her a holster that will work in her purse or a concealed carry purse so she does not destroy a good revolver like my daughter did.
Im afraid to ask but how did this daughter destroy it?