Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > SEARCHED... Taurus Raging Bull users chime in!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton
i call bs.
LoL on which part?

My 4yo is learning with an AR. Her first handgun to shoot (other than her airsoft which she is quite deadly with btw) will very likely be either 9mm or .40 I never even heard of the 22 bull**** until I came here. Fresh shooters in the police academy shoot .40 and 9mm all day long and either get it right or look for another career.

Oh and welcome to FTF Borozon.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."
Borozon Likes This 
Old 01-14-2014, 08:04 PM   #32

Liked 102 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post

LoL on which part?

My 4yo is learning with an AR. Her first handgun to shoot (other than her airsoft which she is quite deadly with btw) will very likely be either 9mm or .40 I never even heard of the 22 bull**** until I came here. Fresh shooters in the police academy shoot .40 and 9mm all day long and either get it right or look for another career.

bs on the arguing.
the biggest thing is propper training, but what works for some doesnt always work for others.

Last edited by phildenton; 01-14-2014 at 08:26 PM.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #33

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

A lot of zombie threads rising form the grave here lately, are we under attack?

*reaches for zombie blaster and shields precious, delicious brains*

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
People Like This 
Old 01-14-2014, 08:22 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
LoL on which part?

Would you hand your daughter a 454 Casull? It's one thing to start with ARs, or 9mms, that's perfectly fine. Giving a new shooter a hand cannon will likely get them hurt or worse.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:35 PM   #35

Liked 1956 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4285

Quote:
LoL on which part?

I don't necessarily subscribe to the 'start with a .22' theory but it has it's merits...

My first handgun experience was with a .44 mag...and I didn't pick up another handgun for 10 years...

Had some green shooters with us a few months back (a couple) and while he was fine with the 9mm, .45 and 12 ga, she didn't like anything other than the .22 (and shot lights out with it...we credit that to our superb training methods... )...even the 9mm and .410 were too much for her...at that time...

Stuff like that is purely subjective and shooter specific. She wasn't trying to qualify for anything, but at the same time, we wanted her first experience to be a positive one. The .22 was perfect for her...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
People Like This 
Old 01-14-2014, 09:03 PM   #36

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
Stuff like that is purely subjective and shooter specific. She wasn't trying to qualify for anything, but at the same time, we wanted her first experience to be a positive one. The .22 was perfect for her...
For a lot of first time shooters this is the difference between wanting to go on or being spooked out of a desire for more. Over 60 years ago it was common to start kids out with .22's. My first experience with a revolver was with an H&R nine shot break top that some friend of my step dad let me shoot, it was a positive experience. Even to this day I'd like to have one like it even though my favorite is .44 mag. My start on the .44 was with the purchase of a Sauer 6" SA .44 mag, not the most fun to shoot not to mention the grip frame screws liked to loosen after about 12 rounds. Then I got a Super Blackhawk, what a pleasure that was to shoot in comparison to the Sauer, but then I was determined to overcome recoil and blast anticipation and flinch and in the end I have probably put more venison in the freeze with a Redhawk than with any rifle I've owned.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #37

Liked 41 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
A lot of zombie threads rising form the grave here lately, are we under attack?

*reaches for zombie blaster and shields precious, delicious brains*
Hey, lighten up, you may not have "Cabin Fever" but I'm pretty sure there are those here who do and more than likely they often dredge through the zombie threads looking for something to keep them from going nutty from the "Polar Vortex" and being all cooped up for days on end. I'm not even dealing with the vortex and yet here I am.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:49 PM   #38
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19988 Times on 11362 Posts
Likes Given: 50414

as a general rule, for most people, especially those new to firearms or new to pistols, a large bore hand cannon is not the best choice to start them out on. even some of the compact pistols like those made for CC even in normally tame calibers are not the best choice for a first time user to handguns.

but i will add, not everyone is alike and some learn quicker or adapt to larger calibers quicker than others. but as a general rule, i always suggest starting with a 22 for new user whether it be rifles or pistols.

People Like This 
Old 01-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #39

Likes Given: 1

Thank you for the welcome and I see you agree with the .22 concept posted here and yes new police officers start out with a full size handgun immediately. My compliments on the young shooter.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:58 PM   #40

Likes Given: 1

I already did and she thought it was quite fun to shoot. I have a friend with a 454 who's gun I used to shoot before purchasing my own. I simply taught her to grip it properly and allow it to recoil accordingly and she was surprised but did very well. Subsequent shots were managed a little more elegantly as fine motor skill development continued. You have to realize in my case I have over 35 years of experience as a professional firearms instructor. She already heard all about starting with a .22 which she requested we skip that and to right to training just like I would another student. So, she shot everything on day one.