SEARCHED... Taurus Raging Bull users chime in!!! - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

SEARCHED... Taurus Raging Bull users chime in!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 04:27 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Yes, because we all know that the purpose of that 460 is for CC and self defense. /sarcasm

Old 01-12-2014, 06:30 AM   #22

Likes Given: 1

Default Firearms Myths

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
You can always get a .454 Casull Raging Bull and shoot .45 Colt cowboy loads in it until you learn proficiency. Be prepared to spend hour upon hour practicing and a ton of money, even if you reload. People have the mistaken belief that shooting a handgun accurately is easy; it isn't. With little or no previous experience, you'll be lucky to consistently hit a 9" paper plate at 50 yards shooting off hand your first time out with a big-bore.
There is a very legitimate reason why most folks start with a .22.
It is not a mistaken belief as it is true you can be shooting accurately in about 20 on the range with proper instruction. For that matter you could take child to the range who never fired a gun before and have them accurately fire an HKMP5 on full auto with no issues.
This is a very much misunderstood concept and you do "NOT" need any previous experience to start shooting with a Glock .40, a Browning Hi Power, or a 454 Casull and be accurate. Firearms and Fishing have one thing in common, a lot of myths. That is an illegitimate reason to start with a .22 or get some slow caliber and practice for six months before buying something larger. This is one more fish story in the firearms world that does nothing but have people wasting time and buying the wrong equipment all the time wasting huge amounts of money needlessly.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:47 AM   #23

I just joined this forum and am curious why you say buy a small gun like a .22 first, go shoot it at least every week for six months, and then go up a caliber at a time before something like a 454casull? I was leery about buying a Taurus 454CAS but did recently acquired one so I'll see how Taurus is when I shoot it. What's with all the hour after hour of practice or even the 20 hours a weekend? What is all this practice and range time necessary for?

Old 01-12-2014, 08:04 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borozon View Post
It is not a mistaken belief as it is true you can be shooting accurately in about 20 on the range with proper instruction. For that matter you could take child to the range who never fired a gun before and have them accurately fire an HKMP5 on full auto with no issues.
This is a very much misunderstood concept and you do "NOT" need any previous experience to start shooting with a Glock .40, a Browning Hi Power, or a 454 Casull and be accurate. Firearms and Fishing have one thing in common, a lot of myths. That is an illegitimate reason to start with a .22 or get some slow caliber and practice for six months before buying something larger. This is one more fish story in the firearms world that does nothing but have people wasting time and buying the wrong equipment all the time wasting huge amounts of money needlessly.
Quote:
I just joined this forum and am curious why you say buy a small gun like a .22 first, go shoot it at least every week for six months, and then go up a caliber at a time before something like a 454casull? I was leery about buying a Taurus 454CAS but did recently acquired one so I'll see how Taurus is when I shoot it. What's with all the hour after hour of practice or even the 20 hours a weekend? What is all this practice and range time necessary for?
To put it simply, picking something like a 454 Casull as your FIRST handgun is a damn fine way to hurt yourself. It's also a good way to develop a flinch that you will have to unlearn at some point. It's common, and a good idea to work your way up in regards to power. You don't have to start with a .22 per say, but a .454 Casull? Really?

What happens when you take on more gun then your ready for? You can get hurt or worse. Recently, a woman tried shooting a 500 S&W Magnum when she was not ready for the recoil of such a beast. She fired, the gun came back, twisted in her hands, and fired again. She died as a result.
People Like This 
Old 01-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6579 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

BTW, this thread has been dead for almost a year and a half. Welcome to the forum though. Be sure to stop by the introductions forum and introduce yourself.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:33 PM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
would you stick a kid who just got his learners permit to drive in a 200 mph Ferrari?

most large bore handguns are not those you pick for your first when new to guns.

but by all means, if you think this is some myth, then feel free to prove the myth wrong.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:56 PM   #27

It is sad that the woman died as a result of operating that firearm but it is not her fault but rather the responsibility of the person who did not properly train her to use it.

Old 01-13-2014, 12:22 AM   #28

This is a myth and as you requested I have already proved it wrong many times over. I started professionally teaching Firearms in 1979 and at the same time acquired the job of Armorer. By 1988 I was a Firearms Instructor, Defensive Tactics Instructor, Close Quarters Battle Instructor, Principles of Subject Control Instructor, Weapons of Mass Destruction Instructor, S.W.A.T. Sniper/Instructor/Technician/Team Armorer, was the Senior Sniper on the Team for Seven Years, and more prior to recently retiring. The first Glock Pistol I was issued I fired 300,000 rounds through it in just over Two years. The frame was replaced and I used the original slide assembly for another 50,000 rounds before turning it in. The next two guns had about 500,000 rounds between them before I finally retired. I have trained new shooters both male and female who never fired a gun before in the use of .40S&W/9mm pistols as the first gun they shot and the 12 Ga. Shotgun using Magnum Slugs and Buckshot for their first loads and by the end of about 20 minutes they were on target. When my oldest daughter and son were Nine and Eight respectively I took them shooting and the first gun they fired was a Glock Pistol in .40 which they did very well rapidly shooting holes in a Two Liter plastic Bottle at about Seven Yards. The next gun they fired was a H&K MP-5 which was full auto and that they safely fired as well. Most firearms problems stem from the lack of, or improper instruction, which in turn develops flawed sub skills that need to be unlearned to be effective later on. This manifests itself in the dreaded flinch and more. In the case of the new/young shooters they had no skills, therefore did exactly as instructed, and performed flawlessly on the range all of them on target in less than 20 minutes. It did take hours to teach proper cleaning, principles of safe handling, and carrying. My point is that Firearms is a Psycho-motor Skill, the shooter does not know the difference, and can be appropriately trained. I have thousands of students behind me as of this date. For what its worth my son and youngest daughter are Military, both have shot Expert from day one.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:48 PM   #29

Liked 110 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 219

i call bs.
People Like This 
Old 01-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2452 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Deleted .....

Last edited by DeltaF; 01-14-2014 at 08:02 PM.