scope for S&W 629 stealth hunter

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > scope for S&W 629 stealth hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default scope for S&W 629 stealth hunter

Hi everyone, I was wondering what advice folks have about scoping my S&W 629 stealth hunter. I like the Bushnell 2 - 6 x 32 elite handgun scope. What rings should I use? This would be the first time I have had (or shot, for that matter) a scoped handgun. Thanks in advance!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #2

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotgunSurgeon
Hi everyone, I was wondering what advice folks have about scoping my S&W 629 stealth hunter. I like the Bushnell 2 - 6 x 32 elite handgun scope. What rings should I use? This would be the first time I have had (or shot, for that matter) a scoped handgun. Thanks in advance!
Look into burris scopes and ring/bases. Weaver is good in all departments to

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

Old 02-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #3

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

The Stealth Hunter has a Weaver base on the barrel, which means you can do what I did and use Warne Quick Detachable mounts to mount a scope, mounting it high enough to avoid interference with the iron sights. I used thm to put a 2x Weaver scope on my .500 PC Hunter. It lets me quickly remove it, without loss of zero, to use iron sights. The Warne rings are nice and wide, which helps to hold the scope and keep it from moving and they are steel. Don’t forget to Loctite the scope in the rings.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:10 AM   #4

Liked 295 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've messed with a few scopes and still can't quite get used to the higher powers. Moving critters and EER's get tough.
For that reason I'd just go with a Leupold 2X.
In fact, that's what my next TC Contender .35 rem will get (had 2.5-7X and I always ran it at 2.5X in the field). In fact I shot it from silhouette position (laying down) and at 150 yards got 1.5" for 5 shots - at friend's range with deer flies galore.
Don't need much mag to shoot good groups (I thought that decent enough- esp for factory ammo- and repated the feat the next day). In fact the lesser seen wobble from lesser mag might help some folks shoot better. It does for me.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye
I've messed with a few scopes and still can't quite get used to the higher powers. Moving critters and EER's get tough.
For that reason I'd just go with a Leupold 2X.
In fact, that's what my next TC Contender .35 rem will get (had 2.5-7X and I always ran it at 2.5X in the field). In fact I shot it from silhouette position (laying down) and at 150 yards got 1.5" for 5 shots - at friend's range with deer flies galore.
Don't need much mag to shoot good groups (I thought that decent enough- esp for factory ammo- and repated the feat the next day). In fact the lesser seen wobble from lesser mag might help some folks shoot better. It does for me.
Ya thats why i use my burris 2.5-7 at 3 or 4 usually.

Old 02-09-2012, 06:39 AM   #6

I use an Aimpoint Comp-C 2X w/ 2 minute of angle red dot on an eight inch barreled Colt Anaconda in .44. I'm (It's) point blank from 25 to 125 yards using Black Hills 240 gr. I hunt whitetail in south central MO with the gun. I'm sure that if I used more rest than my stands allow or put it on a bench it would really shine. Good hunting.

The Bushnells I've shot have been nice optics. You're eyes are probably a couple of decades earlier than mine.

Last edited by RhettButler; 02-09-2012 at 06:43 AM.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettButler
I use an Aimpoint Comp-C 2X w/ 2 minute of angle red dot on an eight inch barreled Colt Anaconda in .44. I'm (It's) point blank from 25 to 125 yards using Black Hills 240 gr. I hunt whitetail in south central MO with the gun. I'm sure that if I used more rest than my stands allow or put it on a bench it would really shine. Good hunting.

The Bushnells I've shot have been nice optics. You're eyes are probably a couple of decades earlier than mine.
You live around/near van buren im guessin?

Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I like the 2X scopes, Burris and Leupold, not necessary in that order.
In the pic below you'll see how I mounted mine, I used a set back ring on the rear to keep the scope away from the comp.
I'm not familiar with the "Stealth" model, but if it's the same config as mine hopefully this will help.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman

You live around/near van buren im guessin?

Aimpoint's outta VA. I hunt deer in south central MO. I live in NE AR. Whassup?

Old 02-10-2012, 04:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettButler

Aimpoint's outta VA. I hunt deer in south central MO. I live in NE AR. Whassup?
Not a whole lot. I how do you like liven in AR.