Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Scope/Red Dot for .44 Mag (Super Redhawk) to HUNT DEER

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 05:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Scope/Red Dot for .44 Mag (Super Redhawk) to HUNT DEER

Hi, this is my first post.

I am very new to guns of all types, and know very little about guns--that's why I'm here. I recently bought Ruger Super Redhawk .44 magnum with a 7.5 inch barrel. I plan on gettin a deer with this bad boy this season.

I want to get a red dot sight or some type of scope for this gun but am lost as to what to get. Do red dots have magnification like scopes? The max distance I'll probably attempt to this thing while hunting is 100ish yards... from what I've read anyway. Let me know what suggestions/advice you have. I'd be happy to provide more detail on things like my gun choice and desired use of the gun, but wanted to keep this first post somewhat concise. To clarify, my basic question is what attachment should I buy to increase my accuracy while hunting? Red dot, scope, laser, something else???(I'm very new to this; assume I know nothing please).
Based on my research so far, the UltraDot 30 seems to be popular. But does it have magnification?? Throw out your ideas please.

THANKS

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-12-2011, 06:11 AM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6638 Times on 4017 Posts
Likes Given: 7902

I can't really help you with a scope but let me add that I hope you have practiced a lot with this gun at the range and you are pretty confident you can put a deer down with a shot or two. That's just my opinion.

As for a scope, you'll get a lot of smart people with lots of experience real soon to help you with a scope.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:38 PM   #3

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Scoping your .44

First off, the previous poster said what is most important...practice, then choosing a load that hits where you want it, like Hornady Leverevolution 225 grain FTX, and sighting in at 50 yards. If you are not a practiced hand gun hunter, I would not go beyond 50 yards to attempt a kill shot, but that is just me. Now as far as a scope, remember this..The recoil velocity of magnum handguns is much higher than that of ordinary hunting rifles, and this subjects the internal parts of an optical sight to great stress every time the gun is fired. On a .22 rimfire or a standard centerfire caliber like the .38 Special a lower priced optical sight may be satisfactory (I have had mixed results with Tasco red dot sights, for example), but on a magnum revolver it simply makes sense to buy the very best you can afford. Weaver, Leupold, and Nikon are three great scope makers and I would look into one of theirs specifically made for high powered handguns. Good luck with what ever you choose..try Optics Planet for good pricing. And remember this is only my opinion, I am no expert, with only 45 plus years using handguns for hunting, plinking and the like.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:32 PM   #4

Liked 207 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I do have many year experence with re dots. Enough with scope to know what I like and dislike. First it might depend way more on how you hunt. If its a stalk hunt for big game and you will be shooting from your pack or shooting stick a scope can offer a better view at the longer distance's. If you will be stalking in a thick wooded area, chaseing hogs or anyting haveing to do with dogs or drives or hunting from a stand like you would while bow hunting in the same thicker woods then a red dot or reflew is the tool to use. A dot or reflex is much more forgiveing when you look thru the lense. If a dot or reflex has the dot on a target ,even if it is in a corner you will get a solid hit where your aiming. A scope on a unsteady hold tends to make look at the retical move to centrer it for the shot. You should be able to use the SRH from a bench and shot 3" group at 100 yards. You may not do better with a 2-7 power scope 2 of my buddies have SRH with 512 eotec's and I have a dan wesson 44 with a burris 35mm speed dot. All shoot ver well. I used a DW 357 for 20 years on hogs and it works real well up close also. You can also turn up or down the light to give a very good picute of your target depending on if its dawn or dusk or high noon on a bright sunny day. Batteries do tend to have a way long er life today with the better units compaired to the older days. My first one a cheap simmons that lasted all 20 years on my revolver. Hope this photo will show up. Old revolver with a 4" barrel now and my newer to me 44 mag

Old 11-04-2011, 11:22 PM   #5

I have a S&W 629 with a 7 3/8 inch barrel. I put a Trijicon RMR on it and put about 500 rounds through it. Store bought and handloads. So far the little RMR is holding up just fine. I got a spike with it last year and I will be Hunting with it again this year. Trijicon products are the berries.