Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&W revolver recommendations?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 220 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I like the 60, think the 3" bbl and adj sights make it a fair trail rig.

But for magnum capability in a small package............I'd go scandium J.

Nasty with Corbon .357s, but you can get used to it. Not bad really, 'cept for the finger knuckle bonk of the trigger guard now and then. .38 +P it's no big deal.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #12

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

You might want to consider the Model 60s. I have a 60Pro, which has a 3” barrel and adjustable sights. It might be too big for your needs. The 60 also comes with a 2” barrel. I would not recommend an aluminum frame gun as your only one. The recoil in anything like full power ammo in .357 is pretty vicious. The long term durability is also suspect in my mind. I have a 340Ti. Great little carry gun, in .357, but I have a 640 stainless gun for practice.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:36 PM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The super light J-frames are not fun to shoot with Magnums, and I question their effectiveness if you ever have to use one. Muzzle flash is rather blinding, report is deafening, and the stiff recoil makes follow-ups more difficult. Most carry .38 +P in them.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:41 AM   #14

Likes Given: 1

I think you might have what you need. Take the Taurus carry gun in .38 spc, Learn to control it. Buy another weapon that's easier to shoot for practice. Make the second gun a sometime replacement piece. Or, something fun to shoot.

Don't want to start an argument with the board: but, if most of us can't fix a problem with good bullets from a short .38, we ain't gonna do it with .357's from the same type piece with the extra recoil.

Good luck..

Old 02-12-2012, 05:48 AM   #15

Whip and blast with the scandium J's in .357 is nasty.
But then a .357 hot in any short bbl rig is gonna have flash and blast.
Indoors it sucks to practice with such stuff..............outdoors way more pleasant.
Low light scenerio, flash might be a problem. But recoil and blast won't be............maybe just aware of the gun having gone high and it taking a while to get back down for the next shot (like when hunting- such gun movement gets kind of annoying).
If you are driven to succeed, and focused to practice, the light J's can be mastered.
For the casual shooter looking for some sidearm, probably not the best choice.
With the emasculation of most in today's society, the average consumer should steer well away from such a beast.
You want power in a light package, it has a cost.
You have to decide what compromises you will make in your quest for a gun, sporting, target or defensive. There is no perfect rig.
Love the idea of buying more than one gun Rhett
But not a friggin' Taurus.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:52 AM   #16

BTW, my buddy has a scandium J (probably said before). His coworker just got a like new used one, for $680.
They seem to have quite a bit of depreciation
The new Scandium J shooter tried some heavier bullet mags in it. Tore him up.
He's just new to handguns, but is determined to get familar and good with the rig. He's going to run .38+P in it for a while and then stay with the 125gr and lighter mags.
Sucks 'cause I'd give him 500 for that gun right now

Old 02-12-2012, 12:44 PM   #17

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I tend to feel the best way to think of the scandium .357 J frame guns is an extra strong .38, nice and light and strong, but still useful for no more than .38, but if you somehow screw up, you won’t blow it up with .357 or their equivalent. They really aren’t particularly useful for most people as a .357. I have found the best adaptation for me is Pachmayr Decelerator or Gripper grips. They make things controllable, but still not particularly pleasant. I still don’t practice much with any of my aluminum guns. Even with less than full power loads, long term durability is still suspect in my mind.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #18
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2067 Times on 1122 Posts
Likes Given: 747

I strongly suggest you google ballistics info out of various barrel lengths. To get all the power out of .357's, you really need 4 inches. Otherwise you're getting the same muzzle energy out of 38 +P.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 02-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #19

Liked 116 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Snub-Nose .38 Air-weight is all you need...That with my .380 LCP is all I carry ...I havn't been Big-Game Hunting in downtown St.Louis Lately,so I don't feel the need for anything any bigger..........