Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&w pc 327 trr8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 619 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default S&w pc 327 trr8

Just bought one at my LGS today. It is used, but in LNIB condition. It didn't have the case, manual, rails, or moon clips. I paid $750 for it. I have a few questions if anyone can help.

Did I do good on the price?

Where is the best place/price to get the rails and moon clips? I don't want to Mall Ninja the gun, I just want all the stock pieces for collector value.

Is the brass front sight the best or am I missing out on a better system?

Thanks for any help, this is only the second revolver in my collection. My first was a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum 50th Anniversary 1956-2006 I got about 3 years ago. I really want to learn more about wheel guns. I'll post pics soon.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-29-2013, 05:48 PM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 142

I use gunbroker.com as a sanity check on prices. Looks like you did OK:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=334628369

For accessories, I'd try brownells.com

Joe

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

Old 03-29-2013, 06:01 PM   #3

Thanks JP! Good idea. Welcome to FTF and thank you for your service. We all look forward to your MIL input.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:41 PM   #4

So here are some pictures. Again, I'm not well versed in the revolver world, but I really want to learn.

Before anyone trashes me, I bought this used. I wouldn't dare buy a new S&W while under a boycott.

In addition to my previous questions, does anyone have ammo suggestions for PD and suggestions for target use. I'd like to hear about both .38spl and .357mag. Thanks.

image-2725507881.jpg   image-442533888.jpg   image-1309821446.jpg  
Old 03-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #5

Very nice! Who's boycotting S&W and why - haven't heard this.

PD ammo - right now, whatever you can get! Speer Gold Dot is one of my favorites if you can find it.

Joe

"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life." - Winston Churchill

Suggested gun control movement talking point: "We're OK with guns to keep our families safe, we just don't want you to have them." - Joe

Old 03-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/130734/ranch-full-moon-clip-smith-and-wesson-627-38-special-8-round-blue-package-of-8
These have worked well for me. I use Winchester & Starline brass, the Starline fits a bit looser but its not going anywhere.
IMHO, S&W is a bit too proud of theirs.
Sorry can't help with the rails. I suspect that they should be fairly easy to find, if not especially cheap.
The iron sights are ok for range work, IMHO. If your plan on using it for nightstand duty, Meprolight makes a sights for S&W revolvers:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/meprolight-night-sights-for-smith-wesson-pistols-revolvers-and-shotguns.html
But I went red dot Optic with my 627.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/288595/c-more-railway-reflex-sight-8-moa-red-dot-with-integral-picatinny-mount-polymer-matte
SD ammo? I'll second the Gold Dots.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 03-30-2013, 06:02 PM   #7

Thanks guys. I load Gold Dots in all my semi-autos, occasionally Critical Defense. So far I have one box of Independence .38spl 130gr FMJs for target(50 rounds) and one box of Winchester PDX1 Defender .357mag 125gr bonded JHPs(20 rounds) for PD. I paid $20 for the target rounds and $30 for the PD rounds, is that good prices for the ammo?

I'm not planning on using it for CC or nightstand duty, I really just want to learn revolvers and become more comfortable with them.

I generally only buy top tier hardware, and I also wanted to get it for collectability. That's why I'm interesting in getting the moon clips, rails, manual, and the factory case. I heard somewhere PC guns come with a special case, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?

Old 03-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #8

Sorry JP. S&W are refusing to fight the NY unSAFE Act. So is Glock and Sig. Most of us here aren't buying anything new from them. We have long memories, just remember Ruger and S&W when it was British owned. There are some threads in Legal/Activism you should check out on this subject.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #9

Will do - thanks!

Joe

Old 03-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
Thanks guys. I load Gold Dots in all my semi-autos, occasionally Critical Defense. So far I have one box of Independence .38spl 130gr FMJs for target(50 rounds) and one box of Winchester PDX1 Defender .357mag 125gr bonded JHPs(20 rounds) for PD. I paid $20 for the target rounds and $30 for the PD rounds, is that good prices for the ammo?

I'm not planning on using it for CC or nightstand duty, I really just want to learn revolvers and become more comfortable with them.

I generally only buy top tier hardware, and I also wanted to get it for collectability. That's why I'm interesting in getting the moon clips, rails, manual, and the factory case. I heard somewhere PC guns come with a special case, but I'm not sure. Anyone know?
For collectability detail: my 627 came with 3 of the OEM moon clips in a tiny little ziplock baggie. IIRC, the case was Performance Center specific. For a full accounting, you might want to have a word with S&W CS.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman