Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   S&W model 60-3 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/s-w-model-60-3-a-27724/)

dongeorgio 05-31-2010 01:24 AM

S&W model 60-3

I just received a S&W model 60-3 as a gift. I have never owned a gun before and, after taking it out shooting, I am hooked.

Can you guys tell me anything important about this gun and its history?

How old is it? Serial No BET1XXX

What add ons can be purchased to customize the gun?

Thanks,
George

spittinfire 05-31-2010 02:31 AM

Welcome to the forum and to the shooting hobby! Please stop by the introduction area and let everyone know you are here. S&W keeps good records, you could contact them directly and they could give you all the information you wanted on the gun.

diggsbakes 05-31-2010 04:27 AM

The model 60 has been in production since 1965 and is regarded as one of the most functional, quality CCW on the market. They are very common, so collectors value is of little existence (with the exception of some rarity). This is just a gun you want to learn, keep and use forever.

There are no "add-ons" with the exception of maybe night-sights and/or a more comfortable grip. Other than that, just keep it original and it'll make you happy every time you shoot it or even look at it.

RadioActiV 05-31-2010 05:46 AM

Well it's a fine piece to have. I own a model 13 and it's a great gun also. Hogue has several diff grip styles that you can choose from. They even have cylinder release buttons for it too in a few choices also. You can change out the front blade sight and thats about the diff options you can go with. Pachmayer also has grips to choose from too. The unique thing about a .357 is you can not only shoot the .357 round but you can also shoot .38,38+p,.38 super,and.38 special out of it also. So you have plenty of ammo choice out there for it.

pmeisel 06-12-2010 12:27 PM

The model 60 is part of the J-frame family, which has spawned many variants, but the model 36 and the model 60 are the most famous members of the group. The "Chief's Special" back when handgun models were all named, was very popular as just that, a revolver carried by officers who were either in plain clothes or did not want to appear heavily armed when in uniform. The chief in the town where I grew up always carried one.

Do a little googling on J-frame and Chief's Special and you should run across a number of old articles on this fine gun. Enjoy it and the hobby!

Franciscomv 06-13-2010 03:43 AM

I wouldn't mess with it too much. Find some grips you like and spend the rest of the money on practice ammo (and speedloaders and/or speed strips).

CA357 06-13-2010 05:30 AM

It's a great revolver. Shoot the heck out of it. Practice with mostly .38's and keep it loaded with .357's for defense. It will not like a steady diet of .357's.

diggsbakes 06-13-2010 06:55 AM

Something tells me this guy never came back to check responses. . .

dongeorgio 06-23-2010 12:14 AM

Thanks to all for the responses. I have now shot a few thousand rounds through it and find that I lack a little accuracy because of the small barrel. Do you have any idea what a model 60-3 would fetch in sale or trade?

dnthmn2004 06-23-2010 12:35 AM

If its really old, you might be able to get a pretty cool history from S&W here, for $50. :cool: