S&W Model 28 v 686 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&W Model 28 v 686

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 258 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If I may contribute my opinion:

I believe the Model 586 (prefer blued guns, myself) to be the best .357 Magnum DA revolver to come down the pike.

The 586/686 guns have the heavy, full lug barrel, which I prefer. Also they share the long cylinder of the Model 19, which will accommodate the longer 173 gr. SWC bullets I use at times. And I prefer the smooth combat trigger of these guns over the narrow ribbed, or wide target ribbed triggers, of the N-framed guns. And, the L-framed revolvers have a smoother DA pull.

As to the frame, the L-Frame is an intermediate size between the K-Frame and N-Frame, but does retain the K-Frame's grip. I find this grip a little easier to use in DA than the larger L-Frame.

I've gon through a number of .357 Magnmum DA revolvers, Model 27, Model 28, Model 19, and Colt Pythons, as well as having some experience with the Dan Wesson. I still carry a 2 1/2" Model 19 daily, but I still am of the opinion that the 586 is the best .357 Magnum DA revolver ever made.

These some of my pets:

Bob Wright

Old 07-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
If I may contribute my opinion:

I believe the Model 586 (prefer blued guns, myself) to be the best .357 Magnum DA revolver to come down the pike.

The 586/686 guns have the heavy, full lug barrel, which I prefer. Also they share the long cylinder of the Model 19, which will accommodate the longer 173 gr. SWC bullets I use at times. And I prefer the smooth combat trigger of these guns over the narrow ribbed, or wide target ribbed triggers, of the N-framed guns. And, the L-framed revolvers have a smoother DA pull.

As to the frame, the L-Frame is an intermediate size between the K-Frame and N-Frame, but does retain the K-Frame's grip. I find this grip a little easier to use in DA than the larger L-Frame.

I've gon through a number of .357 Magnmum DA revolvers, Model 27, Model 28, Model 19, and Colt Pythons, as well as having some experience with the Dan Wesson. I still carry a 2 1/2" Model 19 daily, but I still am of the opinion that the 586 is the best .357 Magnum DA revolver ever made.

These some of my pets:

Bob Wright
Very nice pets, indeed! Opinion noted.

EDIT - and now I see why I couldn't find a 586 to put on my list!

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience". - George Carlin

Last edited by Gramps; 07-02-2008 at 03:34 PM.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:45 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Congrats on buying the mod 27. That's what I would have done for a minimal price difference. If a big diff I'd get the 28 but there's a world of difference between the N frame and the L frame, and personally I think the 27 is the nicest revolver S&W ever made. Hope I find one I can afford some day!!

Old 07-04-2008, 12:05 PM   #14

In all fairness to the 586/686 I finally made a 40 mile trip to a gun store so that I could "touch and feel" one but not shoot it. The weights of these compared to the 27/28 appear to be pretty equal at 43/44oz and since the larger grip of the 27/28 vs the under barrel lug of the 586/686 are the major differences (balance wise) it felt nose heavy to me and the grip felt too small. I guess I've got big hands but they seem to fit on the ends of my arms pretty well. I also went to target grips on my 28, back when, so it may just be the generic way that S&W makes their grips. That's just a very personal thing, no reflection on how either will feel to someone else.

I haven't finalized the deal on the 27, its need a little work on the bluing that's doable but in the process of still looking I've found a 28 that I may be able to get for $150 less that may only need a rear sight blade. Sometimes I hate being this anal, it's called paralysis by analysis, but I am totally satisfied with the end result.

Thanks to all for your input!

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience". - George Carlin

Last edited by Gramps; 07-04-2008 at 06:40 PM.

Old 07-06-2008, 07:40 PM   #15

Well, the saga is nearly over, now it's the waiting for delivery and the extra 48 hours imposed by WI state laws once it gets here.

I ended up buying exactly what I was looking for in the first place, a Model 28 with a 6" barrel. I guess we're aloud to mention price on here as long as we don't care about being laughed at. I got it for under $300 with a broken rear sight blade and I've picked up one of those for another $2.00. Even with the transfers and shipping I'm well under my $400 budget and I got exactly what I was looking for. A good cleaning, polishing the action, painting the sights and a nice set of target grips and she'll be ready to go.

Thanks for EVERYBODIES input on this, it's been a real joy!