S&W model 27 31/2"
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&W model 27 31/2"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 07:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Can anyone tell me a good value of a S&W 27-2 3 1/2" ? It was bought new in 1972. It belonged to a friend on the SO in Kansas. He was killed in 73. I was able to get the gun for $250. It is in very good condition, slight holster wear. I know the history of the gun. Has not been shot or carried much at all. I was happy to get my hands on it because of who owned it.

Last edited by KsPI; 03-13-2013 at 07:20 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #2

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

A couple of years ago I would have said about $400 (saw one at a pawnshot for $250 three years ago, went back a couple of days later with the money and, of course it was gone). I think I paid about $300 each for both of mine, but that was years ago.

This days, with prices what they currently are, I suspect you could get around $500-$550, possibly more. A lot depends on where you are located, my guess is based on my area, and, in the current gun buying hysteria, you could get $600 or more, but I personaly would not pay this for one.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:18 PM   #3

Liked 430 Times on 283 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Depends on the amount of holster wear. I would suspect $700 would be easily achieved. That's a true classic you have and they are selling for premiums now.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:21 AM   #4

Liked 78 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I'll second Olympus.

I found one at a local shop a few months ago. It has been refinished. I bought it for about $640, after taxes and such. Obviously, I thought it worth the price.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Jpyle Likes This 
Old 03-15-2013, 03:34 AM   #5

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 460

I'll third that. Bought a 28-2 last year for $500 and that is the poor man's Model 27. The dash 2 is also a pinned and recessed, pre-lock model which adds desirability to collectors. $650-$700 sounds about right.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-15-2013, 03:41 AM   #6

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle
I'll third that. Bought a 28-2 last year for $500 and that is the poor man's Model 27. The dash 2 is also a pinned and recessed, pre-lock model which adds desirability to collectors. $650-$700 sounds about right.
I was just about to google the 28-2. My dad found one at a local pawn shop today for $499.
Is that a fair price?

Old 03-15-2013, 03:50 AM   #7

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizord1 View Post
I was just about to google the 28-2. My dad found one at a local pawn shop today for $499.
Is that a fair price?
If it's in good shape yes. Older S&W N frames are built like a tank, as long as the bluing is in good shape and the timing is right $499 sounds like a deal.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-15-2013, 04:18 AM   #8

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

If it's in good shape yes. Older S&W N frames are built like a tank, as long as the bluing is in good shape and the timing is right $499 sounds like a deal.
It's probably gone by now XD
There was just one problem with it.
I don't have $500 for it.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #9

Liked 13 Times on 7 Posts

Default S&W & The Birth of The Famous .357 Magnum Cartridge

Hello
For those of you that do Not know this, S&W was the first Gun Manufacturer to come out with a revolver chambered in .357 Magnum. It was the brain child of Douglas Wesson. He created it for guy's who demanded the very best in a revolver and it was fondly Named the Registered Magnum. The Year of it's release was 1935. They got off to a slow start due to the economy back then many could not afford a revolver that cost $61.00. It was at that time the most expensive gun offered by S&W. It was totally hand made by the best gun smith's at S&W. You could have ordered it with any Barrel length from 3-1/2"-8-3/4" in 1/4" Increments. They Offered many different sights as well as some custom King Gun sight Corp. sights. They came in Bright blued finish as well as Nickel finish.The stocks offered were standard walnut service style, Magna style, Roper custom shooting stocks as well as Ivory or Mother of Pearl. These guns were Purely customer ordered guns. When you Placed your order for one of these guns on a company S&W supplied owner Registration card and returned it to the factory they built your gun and shipped it with a frameable Registration certificate which had your name on it along with the guns serial number, Registration number, Barrel length, finish of the gun and what ammo was used Pre the customer's request as well as what distance the gun was sighted in at the factory before it was shipped to it's New owner.

In 1935 They only sold 720 of them. Mine was from the later Part of 1935 and was shipped on December 13, 1935 to Charles Bowen Owner of the Bowen Brother's Hardware company of Augusta, Georgia. In a Leter to S&W MR. Bowen asked for a special reduced price of this gun as his Family Hardware store was a S&W stocking dealer for many year's prior to these being built. Hiss request was Honored and it was offered for $39.00 F.O.B. with one complimentary Bow of Winchester .357 Magnum ammo. He filled out the gun's Registration form saying that he wanted the shortest Barrel length of 3-1/2" as he desired to carry it along with him on rides in the country in his automobile. He asked S&W what they would suggest for sights on his gun and they told him a Patridge style front sight.

By 1938 sales the the Registered Magnums's far exceded the factories expectations so they dropped the owner Registration process and no Longer stamped the Gun's in the crane area with the REG. Numbers, all gun's made after this were called Non Registered Magnums. In 1940 all Civilian gun production ceased for the war effort, so the Famous .357 Magnum revolver's were not available again until Post-War times around 1948. In 1957 The .357 Magnum was assigned the Model number 27 and was sold for many years there after through The dash series of Model 27's.

Here is my 1935 First year Registered Magnum. it is shown with a set of Period Magna style factory stock's as well as a set of the hard to Locate Walter Roper Custom shooting Target stocks. The Picture's shown are of the Gun's original Owner MR. Charles Bowen and his Family Hardware-sporting goods store in the same time frame as my gun shipped to him. Regards, Hammerdown

Shown here with a set of Period correct Magna stocks

Shown here with a set of Period correct service stocks

Shown here with a set of Walter Roper Custom shooting Stocks. Roper made most of the large Target style stock's like these for the Competition Camp Perry shooting Teams

Mr. Charles Bowen the Original owner of my Registered Magnum standing with his son Dudly at the Freight load in door where my Gun originally enter his Hardware- sportring goods store when he received it from S&W on December 13, 1935

Old 03-19-2013, 03:07 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

me thinks someone wanted to show off a few find looking handguns