Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   S&W Model 2 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/s-w-model-2-a-76348/)

Alwayscarrying 11-14-2012 03:06 AM

S&W Model 2

Any info available on them from you guys? I purchased one thats a little rough and was wondering if it would be worth it to restore this gun.

gunsmoke11 11-14-2012 04:08 AM

A photo would be nice, but leave it alone. Many people buy old guns and want them to look like new, so they refinish them and kill much of it's collector value. If a new looking gun is desired then pay the price for a minty specimen, or buy something new. The word character is used a lot when describing antiques, but that word is most correct. When something is old it will show a certain amount of wear due to use and how well it was cared for. Just enjoy looking at it and wonder who had it and where it's been. That should be all the enjoyment you need. The #2 Smith .32RF was used by many during the civil war and was a well made revolver. Good luck with it.

Alwayscarrying 11-14-2012 04:16 AM

Thanks for the advice smoke, but since you said .32RF I honestly believe I may have the wrong model number. Its a .38 S&W. I'll post pictures in the morning, but if it helps I could describe it.

gunsmoke11 11-14-2012 04:41 AM

Uh oh, OK check again on the model. The S&W model 1 was a .22 and the model 2 was a 32RF made from the beginning of the Civil War till the early 1870's. It's easy to get the model wrong and that's why a photo is sometimes needed. Not a big deal.

Alwayscarrying 11-14-2012 04:49 AM

Thats the problem. As i stated the gun is in rough shape and most of the markings aren't legible. I've determined the caliber and first two digits of what I believe to be a five digit serial number. I took it to a couple people today and was told it was a model 2, first change if that means anything.

hiwall 11-14-2012 12:32 PM

"was wondering if it would be worth it to restore this gun"

Restore it if you want it for yourself. You would never get your restoration investment back if you sold it.

Bob Wright 11-14-2012 05:50 PM

Old guns are a paradox when it comes to restoration. If the gun is in such shape as to be recognizable and have the "patina" collectors favor, then it is best to leave it alone.

If the gun is worthless in it present shape, then restoration won't hurt it, you can do whatever you want with it. If maybe so you want a nice looking wall hanger, then have at it.

Again, as has been said, photos, please.

Bob Wright

Alwayscarrying 11-14-2012 06:00 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Here we go. Some pictures.

hiwall 11-14-2012 06:21 PM

Yours is called ".38 DOUBLE ACTION SECOND MODEL".
Made in the 1880's

Alwayscarrying 11-14-2012 06:28 PM

Hiwall, thanks for the info. Me and my grandfather narrowed it down to being made between 1880 and 1884. All the book said was second model, so i took that as model 2.