Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&W Model 10, 38 Special

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 08:53 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalsellArms View Post
I have a Victory model. Love that old gun. Hasnt been shot in probably 10 years cause no one knew how to fix it. Found out after taking my gunsmith courses it was binding because they were still using right hand threads on the extractor rod at that time. when the cylender rotates it unthreads binding up the cylender. so be mindfull of that. a little removable locktite will fix that. as far as if yours is or is not a Victory model its like the gentalman said check for the V before the serial number. but if this was issued to your dad during the war then it wont be. V models were called that because of our victory over Germany so it was a limited run manufactured between 1944-46. And was stamped with US Goverment Property. but still sold to the public as well as issued out to M&P.
The binding problem the poster is describing was not on victory models or other model 10 frames. It was with the early model 29 N frame 44 magnums that would under heavy use with the increased recoil of the 44 magnum which was a lot hotter ammo than todays, loosen up the extractor rod and bind itself in the cutout making the cylinder lock shut. Smith and wesson reversed the threads curing the problem. They did reverse the threads on all models how ever to make the engineers change standard.
I could go on about the manufacture dates of the vitory model and the easy identifying characteristics of them that are extrememly obvious before you check the serial number with the V for victory prefix and the serial number.
But I surfed up this page where the guy who wrote it is very detailed and knows what he is talking about.
http://coolgunsite.com/pistols/victory_model_smith_and_wesson.htm

Old 09-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #12

Im sorry sir but this is a problem with all older S&W that were still using the right hand threads cause that was the problem with mine. And its been a pain in the ass while trying to fix other problems on the pistol while function testing. constantly having to re-tighten the rod after about 10 triger pulls. I followed your link though and that guy dose know what he is talking about. I say keep it even if you never shoot it again. throw it in your safe, make sure its good and dry in there, oil it down to keep it from rusting any further and just pull it out for when your friends are over to show off a great peace of history. Something you can pass on to your kids you know.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:29 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

"Safely dispose of it????" Calm down and take deep breath, my friend.

When you have a piece of history in your hands, especially when it's from a close family member like your POP who passed on, I'd rethink it ,if I was you. Once it's gone, ya can't get it back. Take it to the gunsmith and ask about it. DO NOT SELL IT, if he gives you a 'Deal'. Find out about the true worth of it, by doing research on the internet and closely looking at every centimeter of the gun for markings, etc. Markings can increase the value of a firearm highly. There are lots of sites on the 'puter that can aid you in your research. Have fun and learn all about that gun. Then do what you think is best for you. Goodluck!