S&W Model 10, 38 Special
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&W Model 10, 38 Special

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 02:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default S&W Model 10, 38 Special

I have my deceased father's WWII service revolver, a S&W model 10. It has not been fired in 30 to 40 years. There's a picture here:

Model 10

There is rust here and there on the gun. How do I find out if it is safe to fire? If it is, how do I maintain it? If not, how do I safely dispose of it? (I have lots of other things to remember him by.)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-05-2011, 03:20 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2722 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1386

Barry,
Do you have any pictures of it we could view. Chances are it is fine to shoot.

Old 09-05-2011, 04:31 AM   #3

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

If thats the one in the picture, it looks to be a "Victory" model. Odds are it would be fine to shoot but of course I'm not there to look it over. They were made in .38 special and .38/200(not interchangeable). Dispose of it with me as it is worth $200 to $400.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:52 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

The sentimental value far exceeds the monetary value. The wartime S&W's are good quality firearms. Barring any major issues it should be fine to shoot. They were not +P rated so stick with standard pressure .38 Spl ammo.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9508 Times on 4091 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

Actually, I think your Dad's revolver is a Victory Model of the Military & Police Revolver- the M&P was the name BEFORE they started numbering models. If the serial number on the butt starts with a V, that be it. As said, these were made in .38 S&W, AND in .38 S&W Special. Two different cartridges.

Here is an owner's manual for your revolver- all 4 pages of it. http://stevespages.com/pdf/s&w_10.pdf

There is NOTHING to remove or take apart for owner's level maintenance on these. Your basic tool will be light oil, cloth, and wipe/rub. Your revolver appears to be Parkerized- this is a dull, gray/green phosphate finish used on military arms- it will not be the bright shiny blue/black of a civilian arm- and that is normal.

I cannot tell you if the gun is safe to fire- not at long range- but these were well made, durable, reliable- and it SHOULD be safe to fire- but have a pistolsmith or an experienced revolver shooter take a look at it. Be sure you are using the correct caliber ammo- 38 S&W, and 38 S&W Special do not interchange.

IF you ever want to dispose of it, there are several people here that would walk all over their friends to buy it from you. I have a Collector's Federal Firearm license, and would be glad to discuss it with you myself- as would many a WW 2 re-enactor.

If you are not familiar with the legalities of selling firearms, the important thing to know is that if the ownership is being transferred across a state line OTHER than by inheritance, the firearm needs to be shipped TO a Federal Firearms License holder (FFL), either a Dealer or Collector, in the home state of the recipient.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:29 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would take it to a good gunsmith. It is impossible to know without a professional examination as to whether it is safe to shoot with modern ammo.

Look, I'll make you a good deal. I'll do you a favor and take it off of your hands for $100.00, no questions asked. Honest, I'll be doing you a favor. I'll even pay for shipping.

Just kidding. What a great piece of not only American history, but family history as well. Congratulations.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 09-07-2011, 01:14 AM   #7

Liked 1651 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 361

Take it to a gunsmith. Tell him it is NOT FOR SALE and don't sell it to him for any price the day you take it in. Where I live you wouldn't have to pay $20.00 for a smith to tell you it is ok to shoot, and what kind of ammo to shoot in it.

If you decide to sell it, make sure you know what it is worth. Sometimes the smallest of details can make a huge difference in the value of a firearm. When you determine exactly what you have, look at Gunbroker to see what this type of gun is selling for.

The gun buying, selling and trading business is just like any other. Most people are honest, some a crooks, and everyone wants to get a good deal. Take your time, don't get took.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 09-08-2011, 04:09 AM   #8

Liked 41 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The victory models are all safe to shoot +p ammo as are all smith and wessons made after 1923 and recieved heat treating. The +p designation was added many years later when ammo manufactures tonned down the loads fearing law suits from people using the older hotter ammo in cheaper made guns.Todays +p ammo is not as hot as the old standard round 38 special grandpa used to shoot.
Go to smithandwesson forums.com and sighn up and ask. You will find out all there is or can be known about your gun and also ask about the +p ratings and read the FAQ by Saxonpig.The victory models were all chambered in 38 special and the 38/200.
The 38/200 was not used by the us and was exported to england. Many of them were brought back to the usa and rechambered for the 38 special.
From the pictures of the gun it looks to be in very good condition.I would take it to a gun shop and have a gun smith explain it to you and show you how to clean it.I would buy a nice display case and hang it on the wall. Or you can shoot +p ammo through it every day for the rest of your life and your grand kids can to.
It is just as durable as any model 10 ever made. It also has the long trigger pull of the old five screw model 10 or like said above the M&P before 1957.The trigger pull should be as smooth as butter.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:45 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

http://coolgunsite.com/pistols/victory_model_smith_and_wesson.htm

Yep, Victory .38 WW2 issue.

It's smart to have it checked out. I'd certainly ask a qualified firearms gunsmith if it's OK for +P's. Personally , I have my doubts, it's good to use them in this weapon. Check it out before you fire it.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #10

I have a Victory model. Love that old gun. Hasnt been shot in probably 10 years cause no one knew how to fix it. Found out after taking my gunsmith courses it was binding because they were still using right hand threads on the extractor rod at that time. when the cylender rotates it unthreads binding up the cylender. so be mindfull of that. a little removable locktite will fix that. as far as if yours is or is not a Victory model its like the gentalman said check for the V before the serial number. but if this was issued to your dad during the war then it wont be. V models were called that because of our victory over Germany so it was a limited run manufactured between 1944-46. And was stamped with US Goverment Property. but still sold to the public as well as issued out to M&P.