S & W Mod 15 Firing pin strike pressure ?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

S & W Mod 15 Firing pin strike pressure ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 04:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default S & W Mod 15 Firing pin strike pressure ?

I have an older S & W mod 15 that worked fine until the mainspring broke. This happened years ago and I had a gunsmith replace the mainspring.
When the work was done I put the gun away for a long time untested, I have since moved 1800 miles away from the gunsmith.
I took it out the other day and the firing pin does not strike the primer hard enough to fire, just a fine dimple.
When tested and looked at dry, the firing pin travels deeply enough to do the job on the primer and it is sound.
It looks to me, that the stress screw that acts on the mainspring can be moved to adjust the strength of the hammer blow.
I am looking for just a little direction from someone that is familiar with this action.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-02-2009, 05:06 AM   #2
Liked 92 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Tighten down the strain screw. If it is already tight, the smith you took it to may have shortened it for a lighter double action trigger pull (and went too far). If so, replace the strain screw.

Last edited by masterPsmith; 07-02-2009 at 05:10 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:20 AM   #3
Default Strain Screw.

Thanks Jim,
I just tried it and that strain screw is bottomed, it 's not going anywhere. I will take the grips off of one of my other 'K' frames and compare the screw length on them.
Thanks again, Len
Old 07-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Liked 3814 Times on 1947 Posts
Likes Given: 447

Main spring tension on a non-magnum S&W revolver should be 3 1/2 lbs. Magnums should be 3 3/4 lbs. Tension is measured by hanging trigger check weights off the hammer at the first notch below the hammer nose. It is easier to do than it is to explain.

+1 on the strain screw. Tension is adjusted by altering the length of the strain screw. A hack may not get it right.
In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball
Old 07-03-2009, 05:29 AM   #5
Default S&W hammer strike

Thanks for the info.
I pulled the strain screw and it has been shortened, I thought that trigger pull was too good to be true.
Anyway, I took a spent large pistol primer, cleaned it and flattened the inside with a small flat bottomed punch, this came out to about .015.
I slipped this over the end of the screw and the result is that now, the apparent hammer pressure is about the same as my other 'K' frames.
Next step is to check the actual weight as you have described and then back to the range.
Thanks again, Len