Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   S&W "M&P" revolver designation. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/s-w-m-p-revolver-designation-85685/)

txpossum 03-03-2013 05:21 PM

S&W "M&P" revolver designation.
 
Recently on another firearms forum there was a discussion about the Smith and Wesson Military and Police revolver, later designated as the Model 10. Okay, so far, so good. However, during the thread other S&W models were also referred to as Military and Police Models (M&P's), such as the Model 12, Model 14, Model 19, etc..

Two different uses of the term M&P -- one as the name of a specific model, and one as a category.

Now, I have been shooting Smiths for most of my life, and I never heard the term S&W Military and Police used to describe anything but what was later called the Model 10. The Model 19 was the "Combat Magnum", the Model 14 the "K-38", the Model 15 the "Combat Masterpiece" etc. I never heard them called the M&P Model 19 or whatever.

Have these decendents of the original Model 10 always been known by the Military and Police designation, and I just never noticed it, or has it been a more recent categorization?

c3shooter 03-03-2013 07:33 PM

IMHO, it is incorrect to call them that. Looking at my copy of The Standard Catalogue of Smith & Wesson as we speak, and they don't.

txpossum 03-03-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter
IMHO, it is incorrect to call them that. Looking at my copy of The Standard Catalogue of Smith & Wesson as we speak, and they don't.

That was always my understanding, but I have see them referred to as such at places on the web. But I never heard them called that before.

RustyShackleford101 03-04-2013 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpossum
Recently on another firearms forum there was a discussion about the Smith and Wesson Military and Police revolver, later designated as the Model 10. Okay, so far, so good. However, during the thread other S&W models were also referred to as Military and Police Models (M&P's), such as the Model 12, Model 14, Model 19, etc..

Two different uses of the term M&P -- one as the name of a specific model, and one as a category.

Now, I have been shooting Smiths for most of my life, and I never heard the term S&W Military and Police used to describe anything but what was later called the Model 10. The Model 19 was the "Combat Magnum", the Model 14 the "K-38", the Model 15 the "Combat Masterpiece" etc. I never heard them called the M&P Model 19 or whatever.

Have these decendents of the original Model 10 always been known by the Military and Police designation, and I just never noticed it, or has it been a more recent categorization?

Just the " pre model ten" is an m&p, not all k frame guns. As Shakespeare said" A rose by any other name is just as sweet", and m&p's are sweet guns.

txpossum 03-04-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford101 (Post 1162688)
Just the " pre model ten" is an m&p, not all k frame guns. As Shakespeare said" A rose by any other name is just as sweet", and m&p's are sweet guns.


What you said was what I always thought -- and what I was arguing on the other forum. However, when I went looking for references to back me up, here's what I found:

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/double-action-revolvers/usa/sw-mp-medium-sized-k-frame-e.html

Here is the list of the most common M&P models, manufactured during the last 100 or so years.


38 Hand Ejector - opriginal model. In 1899, introduced in 38 Long; in 1902 in .38 Special.
Military & Police - Hand Ejector .38 Spl, renamed somewhere in 1920s.
Victory model - WW2, military issue M&P's with rough finish, plain wood grip panels and lanyard ring. manufactured for US Military in .38Spl and for British Commonwealth in .38/200, with 4 or 5 inch barrels.
Military and Police, Model 10 - M&P, numbered in 1958. Curently in production.
Military and Police, Model 11 - M&P, chambered for British service .38/200 cartridge. In production since 1936, discontinued in 1965
Military and Police Airweight, Model 12 - similar to Model 10, but with alluminium alloy frame. In production since 1953, discontinued in 1986
Military and Police Magnum, Model 13 - M&P with thick, heavy barrel, chambered in .357 magnum cartridge. In production since 1973, discontinued.
K-38 Masterpiece, Model 14 - Target version of the M&P, with 6 or 8 inch barrel and ajustable sights. In production since 1947, discontinued in 1982
K-38 Combat Masterpiece, Model 15 - Version of the Model 14, with ribbed barrels of 2, 4 or 6 inches long and ajustable sights. In production . . .

RustyShackleford101 03-04-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpossum

What you said was what I always thought -- and what I was arguing on the other forum. However, when I went looking for references to back me up, here's what I found:

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/double-action-revolvers/usa/sw-mp-medium-sized-k-frame-e.html

Here is the list of the most common M&P models, manufactured during the last 100 or so years.

38 Hand Ejector - opriginal model. In 1899, introduced in 38 Long; in 1902 in .38 Special.
Military & Police - Hand Ejector .38 Spl, renamed somewhere in 1920s.
Victory model - WW2, military issue M&P's with rough finish, plain wood grip panels and lanyard ring. manufactured for US Military in .38Spl and for British Commonwealth in .38/200, with 4 or 5 inch barrels.
Military and Police, Model 10 - M&P, numbered in 1958. Curently in production.
Military and Police, Model 11 - M&P, chambered for British service .38/200 cartridge. In production since 1936, discontinued in 1965
Military and Police Airweight, Model 12 - similar to Model 10, but with alluminium alloy frame. In production since 1953, discontinued in 1986
Military and Police Magnum, Model 13 - M&P with thick, heavy barrel, chambered in .357 magnum cartridge. In production since 1973, discontinued.
K-38 Masterpiece, Model 14 - Target version of the M&P, with 6 or 8 inch barrel and ajustable sights. In production since 1947, discontinued in 1982
K-38 Combat Masterpiece, Model 15 - Version of the Model 14, with ribbed barrels of 2, 4 or 6 inches long and ajustable sights. In production . . .

Hmm. Interesting. Ive used that website sometimes and it has mostly legit info. It seems like they still called some others M&Ps.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:03 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.