Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&W J frame - ka-boom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 211 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 15

This maybe fatigue of the metal around the forcing cone area. Is the cylider in one piece? Is the barrel basicly in one piece? Could be loads beating on the forceing cone area till the frame gave up. Contact S&W wesson and let them give you a new pistol or may be a up grade.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:17 PM   #42

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

hardluk1

The cyl. did stay in one piece, and the barrel,too. S&W, after about 8 weeks informed me I will be getting a new gun. Hope they'll give me some idea of what went wrong.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #43

Liked 1114 Times on 719 Posts
Likes Given: 276

Looks to me that the gun just fell apart instead of exploding. That is why you still have eyes and fingers. S&W's engineers will have a real good idea as to what happened, but I wouldn't expect a straight and honest answer. Nothing like, "Boy did we ever screw up, this gun should have never have passed inspection and should not have left the factory, damn we are glad you and your attorney are OK"

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

bluez Likes This 
Old 10-18-2012, 11:48 PM   #44

Liked 4557 Times on 2203 Posts
Likes Given: 1366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Looks to me that the gun just fell apart instead of exploding. That is why you still have eyes and fingers. S&W's engineers will have a real good idea as to what happened, but I wouldn't expect a straight and honest answer. Nothing like, "Boy did we ever screw up, this gun should have never have passed inspection and should not have left the factory, damn we are glad you and your attorney are OK"
There is nothing funny about attorneys...well, except dead attorneys...thats kinda funny!

Tack
Old 10-19-2012, 04:39 AM   #45

Liked 9199 Times on 5056 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Hey now... I kinda like my attorney. She's trying to make sure I get full custody.

Oh wait... You meant THOSE attorneys... Yeah, that would be funny.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #46
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2600 Times on 1367 Posts
Likes Given: 202

S&W is good about fixing their mistakes, BUT the attorneys will be very relucltant to allow a written explanation of the source of the problem. Corporations are increasingly cautious when it comes to potential liability. With the growing left wing anti-gun sentiment, why give the bottom feeders any ammunition.

Suffice it to say S&W will have meticulously examined the gun to help them improve their products. They will know EXACTLY where the materials came from and EXACTLY who built the gun. They will fix the problem, if there is a problem. It is always possible it was a anomoly and cannot be replicated.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #47

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

One question.. some have suggested a "hot load", would that have deformed the case in any way? They appeared normal after removing them from the cylinder.

By the way, I'm betting on the anomaly, one of a kind event.

Thanks for any input.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #48

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

IMHO, J Frames are great carry guns, but not great practice guns, exception being .22 's or if you load yourself a mild target load. With a carry gun, you're not making 50 yard shots anyway, it's close quarters. All the LEO's I know who have carried sidearms have drawn, but never had to fire in anger.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:20 AM   #49

Liked 102 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 219

An all steel j frame (such as a model 36) is good practice gun, its the light weight alloy frame snubs that suck for shooting in any real quantity.

Old 10-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #50
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2579 Times on 1291 Posts
Likes Given: 246

My Stepmom has one of those S&W 34something Titanium models. Same two piece barrel setup.
After a range trip where it saw about maybe 20 rds of ammo, I thought I'd be nice and clean it for her. I got it all pretty and was just messing about with it and I discovered that the whole barrel assembly was loose. She was a bit POd about the whole thing because it's her EDC gun. There's lightweight and then there was this thing. It's lived a pleasant life with a low rounds count and nothing that would constitute abuse. unfortunately I wasn't able to follow up with it, but I told her to call S&W and have the fix it. I can't help if this might be the result of a loose barrel that wasn't caught?

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman