S&W J frame - ka-boom - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&W J frame - ka-boom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 03:12 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

OK so its not totally covered in soot like it seems to me to look like in the picture?

Hows the barrel look?

And if you've had it for so long do you have a rough estimate as to the round count and what kind of ammo you mostly shoot in it?

Isn't it the one with the scandium/aluminum alloy frame?

If so,and its got a high round count perhaps of the hotter stuff then it might likely just be metal fatigue.

I still hope S&W replaces your loss.Guns shouldn't do that under normal use.Some minor parts breakage and repair,perhaps,but not this.

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Old 08-05-2012, 03:25 AM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5681 Times on 2968 Posts
Likes Given: 376

one of the big reasons i use reloads primarily with very very little factory ammo is several incidents involving hangfires and squibs. fortunately none of them involved exploding a gun. the last one was a squib with factory ammo in my sigp220. gun kinda half@ssed recoiled didnt cycle so i checked the barrel bullet still in the gun barrel. had to pound it out with a hammer and dowel rod.

pmc has a bad rep for really hot loads. i dont use it ever. but then im not a big fan of factory ammo.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-05-2012, 03:41 AM   #23

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

That's some scary shiitake mushroom there. Glad U R OK.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #24
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I had a Remington .44mag round squib and lodge in the barrel on a Model 29. Second shot I ever fired from the gun. It just didn't sound right and something made me stop and check. It was lodged about halfway up the barrel.

20 years later I still have the mangled bullet. I get a shiver up my spine every time I see it.

OP glad you are ok.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #25

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Is the barrel clear or plugged with a bullet??? Clear!! s&w owes you a new pistol. If you have shoot 10 years worth of 357 mags you may have found the life cycle of there scandium revolvers. Glad all fingers are attached and working. Scarry looking kaboom.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #26

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

What bullet weight?

I've seen warnings against 110gr and lighter in j frames by the factory material.

Good luck.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 08-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Default More pics

The ammo was 158 gr JSP. I've shot mostly .38 special and +P. The .357 rounds sting a little! Total number of rounds over the years, not sure. This was mainly CCW and I shoot my autoloaders mostly. I would usually shoot 20-50 rounds with this.

Here are a few more pics.

Again, thanks for all the replies and questions.

barrel.jpg   cylinder.jpg   muzzle-barrel.jpg  

Old 08-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #28

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

After seeing that the barrel is clear I would say it is metal fatigue. maybe s&w will give you a choice in a replacement.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:03 PM   #29

Liked 4791 Times on 2317 Posts
Likes Given: 1479

Please be sure to post S&W's response to your problem.

Good Luck

Old 08-07-2012, 10:49 PM   #30

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Yeah, I'm gonna say metal fatigue but not rule out an overpressure load entirely.

Again,I'm very glad no one was hurt.

And please,as many of the other members have asked,keep us posted!

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%