Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&W J frame - ka-boom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

DAMN!! I just bought a J frame Airweight today, only in .38 Special. I hope this was just a fluke thing (I'm betting it is). Glad you're still here to type this.

Old 08-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #12

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Thats really odd, ive seen cylinders explode or the barrel due to an obstruction. That appears that only the frame itself flew apart. Glad you and anyone that may have been close by is fine.

Badshot

Old 08-05-2012, 12:25 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 204 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Just being curious.. case like this what will both manufacturers do about it? They will send a replacement gun? Or Free lifetime ammo?

Old 08-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #14

Liked 320 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 426

I'm glad you weren't hurt.

I had a squib that lodged half way in the barrel once with a CZ82 firing Wolf 100gr FMJ.
I could tell it was a squib because the recoil sounded and felt way different then the perhaps 100 rounds or so I'd already put downrange.

I stopped shooting,cleared the weapon and while doing so noticed a bunch of unburned powder in the breech area.

The casing had ejected and the slide locked back fully.

The only indication I had of trouble was the sound and feel of the shot.

After making safe,I checked the breech physically and then popped the slide and looked down the barrel.

Did you notice any sort of "difference" in the recoil and sound in the shot preceding the one that caused the catastrophic failure?

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

http://jpfo.org/
III%

Old 08-05-2012, 12:48 AM   #15

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

I hate when that happens!

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:12 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Everything felt normal as each round went off. And I am pleasantly surprised I still have all 10 fingers. In fact I didn't get a scratch.

Both S&W and PMC will get pics and details.

Thanks for the replies.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovJosh
I'm glad you weren't hurt.

I had a squib that lodged half way in the barrel once with a CZ82 firing Wolf 100gr FMJ.
I could tell it was a squib because the recoil sounded and felt way different then the perhaps 100 rounds or so I'd already put downrange.

I stopped shooting,cleared the weapon and while doing so noticed a bunch of unburned powder in the breech area.

The casing had ejected and the slide locked back fully.

The only indication I had of trouble was the sound and feel of the shot.

After making safe,I checked the breech physically and then popped the slide and looked down the barrel.

Did you notice any sort of "difference" in the recoil and sound in the shot preceding the one that caused the catastrophic failure?
I know this is off topic but what is a squib load? I'd look it up online but I figured I'd get a more adequate answer here ...

Glad no one was hurt!!

Old 08-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #18

I'm guessing its easier to tell with a semiauto when something like this happens then with a revolver?

With my squib,the action was locked open in the middle of a magazine.

I was wrong in saying that the sound and feel was the "only" indication,I meant it was my first indication.

this was a few years ago so bear with me........

Having the slide lock open on a mag that still had ammo in it was also a good sign that something wasn't right.

So I'm thinking you might have had a squib and might not have known it cause you were shooting a revolver,but then I'm just guessing.

It might not have been a squib at all.

Well,anyway,I'm only trying to roll it around a bit for the edification and education of the forum,and as thankfully you weren't harmed and you will hopefully be receiving remuneration and/or replacement for your loss,then I feel comfortable in declaring that we can all actually gain something from this experience if we find out what actually happened......

If something is going on with PMC ammo then it needs to be found out and dealt with before someone does get hurt.

Honestly I doubt it was a problem with the gun.

But was this gun new and was this the first time you've fired it?

I am noticing that your cylinder is black as heck,much blacker then a few rounds of ammo should make it.I'm assuming by the color of the rest of the parts of your gun that yours was stainless or nickel?
If that cylinder was stainless/nickel,then that black is from firing the round that kaboomed your gun, judging by how my revolvers look when I fire them even after a few boxes,that one round may have had way too much powder in it.
I've never seen that much soot on any revolver I've ever owned of the same color even after a couple hundred rounds.

The damage seems to be along the top strap and not the barrel....is there anything still in the barrel perhaps?does it look bulged at all?Or does it look good?

I have no clue as to how much of an overcharge it would take to do that,I'm guessing quite a bit,but it might be possible that the ammunition was in fact overcharged.

"You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil. A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul."
-Mahatma Gandhi

III%

Last edited by KalashnikovJosh; 08-05-2012 at 01:48 AM.

Old 08-05-2012, 01:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhughe11 View Post
what is a squib load?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squib_load
-Mahatma Gandhi

III%

Old 08-05-2012, 02:00 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovJosh View Post
I'm guessing its easier to tell with a semiauto when something like this happens then with a revolver?

With my squib,the action was locked open in the middle of a magazine.

I was wrong in saying that the sound and feel was the "only" indication,I meant it was my first indication.

this was a few years ago so bear with me........

Having the slide lock open on a mag that still had ammo in it was also a good sign that something wasn't right.

So I'm thinking you might have had a squib and might not have known it cause you were shooting a revolver,but then I'm just guessing.

It might not have been a squib at all.

Well,anyway,I'm only trying to roll it around a bit for the edification and education of the forum,and as thankfully you weren't harmed and you will hopefully be receiving remuneration and/or replacement for your loss,then I feel comfortable in declaring that we can all actually gain something from this experience if we find out what actually happened......

If something is going on with PMC ammo then it needs to be found out and dealt with before someone does get hurt.

Honestly I doubt it was a problem with the gun.

But was this gun new and was this the first time you've fired it?

I am noticing that your cylinder is black as heck,much blacker then a few rounds of ammo should make it.I'm assuming by the color of the rest of the parts of your gun that yours was stainless or nickel?
If that cylinder was stainless/nickel,then that black is from firing the round that kaboomed your gun, judging by how my revolvers look when I fire them even after a few boxes,that one round may have had way too much powder in it.
I've never seen that much soot on any revolver I've ever owned of the same color even after a couple hundred rounds.

The damage seems to be along the top strap and not the barrel....is there anything still in the barrel perhaps?does it look bulged at all?Or does it look good?

I have no clue as to how much of an overcharge it would take to do that,I'm guessing quite a bit,but it might be possible that the ammunition was in fact overcharged.
The cylinder color is the original color for that model, 340SC, bought 10-12 yrs ago.

I was wondering if metal fatigue, along the top strap.