Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   S&W airweight model 37 38spl ctg (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/s-w-airweight-model-37-38spl-ctg-86931/)

running_fool 03-19-2013 04:59 PM

I have someone who wants to sell one in seemingly excellent condition for $120. I know nothing about these guns. Is it worth it? I think it is a few years old it has the external hammer.

danf_fl 03-19-2013 05:10 PM

Buy it for that price and I will buy it from you for $150.

running_fool 03-19-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl
Buy it for that price and I will buy it from you for $150.

I take it that is a decent price for that gun

Hectocotylus 03-19-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by running_fool
I have someone who wants to sell one in seemingly excellent condition for $120. I know nothing about these guns. Is it worth it? I think it is a few years old it has the external hammer.

Not a decent price. A screaming deal.

running_fool 03-19-2013 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hectocotylus

Not a decent price. A screaming deal.

Is it a decent gun? I have a dozen other makes and models but this gun is the first revolver and first cartrid smaller than a 9mm

Tackleberry1 03-19-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by running_fool (Post 1182475)
Is it a decent gun? I have a dozen other makes and models but this gun is the first revolver and first cartrid smaller than a 9mm

Pretty sure .38 Special has a bit "more" thump than 9 mm

Any S&W revolver in good condition is worth that price. The Air Weight line typically run about $200 more than standard S&W revolvers because of the titanium construction... "more expensive metal".

Personally, I like more heft to a pistol... these Air Weights feel like toys to me... but they are an excellent choice for hikers or anyone who needs light weight firepower in a gun that will be carried often, and shot little.

Either way, you could easily double... or possibly triple your money at that price.

Tack

eatmydust 03-19-2013 05:46 PM

Go to youtube and search something like "inspecting a used revolver", if the forcing cone is not cracked, it's timing is right, thecylinder alignment is propre, there are no noticable cracks or fatigue and the barrel is in good shape, sounds like a really good deal!

Or just make sure you can have a gunsmith inspect it before you're committed to it.

running_fool 03-19-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatmydust
Go to youtube and search something like "inspecting a used revolver", if the forcing cone is not cracked, it's timing is right, thecylinder alignment is propre, there are no noticable cracks or fatigue and the barrel is in good shape, sounds like a really good deal!

Or just make sure you can have a gunsmith inspect it before you're committed to it.

Sweet thanks for the tip!

danf_fl 03-19-2013 06:16 PM

Now why did you guys have to tell him that?

.38 Spl has been used for many years before the "wonder" calibers in our police forces and military.

It still is a caliber that can protect one's backside.

hiwall 03-19-2013 06:50 PM

The model 37 has no "titanium construction".
My EDC is a 37. They are excellent guns. At $120 I would maybe question if it was stolen. Value around here would be $350 or maybe even more.