Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   S&w ??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/s-w-96577/)

coopertrooper 09-05-2013 12:48 AM

S&w ???

1 Attachment(s)
I'd don't know much about this gun all i know is that it's a S&W .357 magnum double-action, and this gun shoots way too high, I'd like to know what it is and how much it's worth

Attachment 117078

kryptar19 09-05-2013 12:59 AM

Open the cylinder and look at the part of the frame in front of it. This should tell the model number.

mountainman13 09-05-2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kryptar19 (Post 1358482)
Open the cylinder and look at the part of the frame in front of it. This should tell the model number.

After that look it up on gunbroker and you can see what people are willing to pay.

nitestalker 09-05-2013 02:04 AM

It is a S&W Mdl. 66 the .357 on a SS "K" Frame. If it is a Mdl 66-2 it was made in 1982 and worth around $600 bucks. Later Mdls. with higher dash numbers are less expensive. These were the SS version of the famous Mdl. 19 S&W.
The rear sight on your gun has been raised till the tang is bending. Lower the rear sight and the gun will likely be corrected. ;)

robocop10mm 09-05-2013 03:40 PM

The better question is "shoots too high" with WHAT ammo? Adjustable sights are easy to use. Move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go. Shoots too high? screw the rear sight down.

Heavy bullet loads will hit higher inside 25 yards than light fast bullet loads.

Hammerdown 09-14-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coopertrooper (Post 1358457)
I'd don't know much about this gun all i know is that it's a S&W .357 magnum double-action, and this gun shoots way too high, I'd like to know what it is and how much it's worth

Attachment 117078

Hello Coopertrooper
The gun that you have shown is a very Early Model 66. The early Model 66's had the flash chrome rear sights as well as their Hammer & Trigger. They Only has those features for about a Year when S&W started Bluing the rear sight assembly and the hammer & Trigger were color case Hardened. so I would say that your gun was made in 1970 time span and a very rare revolver to find. If you open the gun's cylinder it should have a stamp of "MOD. 66" In the lower left hand corner of the frame directly in line with The extractor rod cut out that will be stamped directly into the Gun's forward portion of the frame area. I would say that if your gun is shooting high it could be a couple of thing's effecting it's P.O.I. I would first see if the Rear sight assembly screw's are Tight. These will be the two screw's in the top of the rear sight assembly where it is attached to The Top strap of the revolver & It is Not uncommon for the two rear sight screw's to Loosen over time due to the High recoil of the .357 Magnum cartridge in a Medium weight & frame gun. The second thought I have is Bullet weight. Typically when a Bullet's P.O.I. on a Target is High it can be corrected by shooting a Lighter weight Bullet. Anotherward's if you are now shooting Factory load's with a bullet weight of 158 Grains which is the Most common bullet weight for the .357 magnum cartridge I would suggest that you try a Lighter weight bullet. I do know in factory load's you can get Bullet's of Lighter weight's being 110 & 125. I would caution you to Not use of these Lighter weight bullet's Too often as they are known to crack the forcing cone in these K-framed revolvers. if you are shooting Re-load's I would try and adjust the Power dispersment some Meanig Lees powder for the load's being shot to see if that help's with your Trajectory issues. I hope this helps, Hammerdown

JW357 09-14-2013 06:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It does look like a model 66, though. Very similiar to mine, which is also a 66-2.

Not saying the other posters aren't right, but definitely look for the model number, as demonstrated in the second picture below.

Attachment 118513

Attachment 118514

Not the best picture or lighting, but you can clearly see the "MOD 66-2" in there

robertusa123 09-19-2013 11:21 PM

If it shooting high you need to get the top of the front blade lower in your sight picture. All my sights are a little different. Buy some ammo. head to the range and adjust the way you sight it tial you get it where you want. If that dosent work. Rise the front sight or lower the back

JimRau 09-20-2013 12:36 AM

One of the best handguns ever made!!!!:cool:

headhunter 09-24-2013 04:16 AM

Over the years I have had a vexing problem that I couldn't solve.* I could do a credible job with my revolvers or my .22 autos, but my centerfire auto .45 was embarrassing me. * I happened upon a forum where a neophite shooter was commenting on the fact that when he placed some of his new 'toys upside down on a table there were some who's front sights were taller than the rear sight and he was asking , Why"?*
In thinking about it , the answer hit me like a ton of bricks.* The thing was unbelievably simple.* If when upside down the front sight was taller than the rear sight, then the line of sight was the table and the axis of the bore (an imaginary line through thee center of the barrel) would never line up- not ever.* Viewed from the the firearm being right side up the two axis would never line up, hence the trajectory of the bullet would never cross the line of sight ever, the expected two times the bullet should cross the line of sight just wouldn't happen!
My thinking was mostly correct, however, I hadn't taken into account the fact there is recoil.* The correct alignment of the two axis didn't happen when the gun was stationary- it never occurs at all.* The mental correct alignment had to occur as the bullet transitioned from the barrel to the air.* The correct sight picture would be in place as you squeezed the trigger.* When the powder burns and pressure begins - it is all about where the barrel is going to be when the bullet exits.
This explains why instead of lowering my rear sight (rule: move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to impact the target is not applicable here) to impact the target lower I needed to raise the darn thing (rear sight).* This also explains why a heavier weight bullet fired from a large calber rifle will hit higher than a lighter weight bullet fired from that same rifle.* More recoil and longer time between ignition and exiting the barrel.
Yes, I am now hitting my targets with my centerfire .45 with a high degree of accuracy.*