S&W 686 or Ruger GP100? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&W 686 or Ruger GP100?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What is a Hillary hole. I have never herd of that

Old 01-09-2012, 09:04 PM   #12
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugernut View Post
What is a Hillary hole. I have never herd of that
New BS fed demands for integral trigger locking device.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 01-09-2012, 09:27 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj

New BS fed demands for integral trigger locking device.
O ok thanks

Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
I would not buy any new S&W with a "Hillary Hole" for home or self defense after having an ILS equiped S&W Revolver fail on me at the range.

While Ruger has a locking system it is under the stocks and not able to be activated by recoil. If you can find a Used "non-lock" S&W I'd say go for it. If new I think Ruger is the only way to go. The triggers and actions on Rugers can be cleaned up quite well to rival even a "worked on" S&W.

Biker
So you have choice a Hillary Hole or a billboard warning that is engraved on the barrel ("Bill"board) of the Ruger... on the S&W forum they say there is a plug for the hole and you can remove the lock, on the Ruger Forum they talk about sanding it off the barrel I went with the S&W (when looking at .44mags) because there is no comparison in the triggers and to get a trigger as good as the S&W you will probably pay the difference in what you saved on the Ruger IMHO But like one of the posters said it really is what feels better in "your" hand.

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Old 01-10-2012, 12:54 AM   #15

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgnwdc View Post
So you have choice a Hillary Hole or a billboard warning that is engraved on the barrel ("Bill"board) of the Ruger... on the S&W forum they say there is a plug for the hole and you can remove the lock, on the Ruger Forum they talk about sanding it off the barrel I went with the S&W (when looking at .44mags) because there is no comparison in the triggers and to get a trigger as good as the S&W you will probably pay the difference in what you saved on the Ruger IMHO But like one of the posters said it really is what feels better in "your" hand.
I would be more hesitant to remove a safety device, and that's what the Hillary Hole is classified as, than a collection of letters stamped in to my gun.

Removing a safety device may or may not be factor if you use your weapon in a real life situation. It's a factor I don't care to even give a jury to consider. If you think you can convince twelve people, the jury, that you know more about the gun in question than the designers and makers, more power to you. Me, I'm not willing to take that chance.

Biker

Old 01-10-2012, 01:36 AM   #16

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

I can vouch for ruger revolvers,my sp101 is my favorite gun and I shoot that .357 better than any other gun I own. If you want a gun with a sweet action out of the box then I can't deny, the Smith is gonna beat the ruger any day of the week. But if you want a workhorse of a gun that will eat whatever your grandchildren can stuff in the cylinders after your dead and gone,and beg for more of it... than a ruger wheelgun is it partner. They might be a little rough around the edges,but I know my little sp101 is built like an M1 Abrams. I can only imagine how a full size gp100 would be. Not saying anything against the quality of a Smith because that's exactly what they are... quality workmanship. You pick up a Smith and it feels like a finely tuned sweet shooting gun with attention payed to the little details,that's how Smith and Wesson got the name they have for building wheelguns. But in my opinion when I pick up a ruger and feel the weight and heft of that stainless,i feel ruggedness and shootability,i feel a gun built like a train and engineered to take a pounding from those hot loads that hit like one too.

So you have to ask yourself what you really want out of a revolver,once you answer that your decision should be an easy one.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:14 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
I would be more hesitant to remove a safety device, and that's what the Hillary Hole is classified as, than a collection of letters stamped in to my gun.

Removing a safety device may or may not be factor if you use your weapon in a real life situation. It's a factor I don't care to even give a jury to consider. If you think you can convince twelve people, the jury, that you know more about the gun in question than the designers and makers, more power to you. Me, I'm not willing to take that chance.

Biker
Not really sure what you're talking about with the jury and trying to convince them I know more than the designers
I personally would never remove mine, my Ruger MKIII, Bersa, Beretta PX4 Storm and S&W model 629 all have the hole and don’t care one way or the other it really doesn’t bother me, but it seems to really!!! bother the S&W connoisseurs or aficionados there are countless threads on the S&W forums about it… they in general really hate that hole. I guess I would rather not have it but it’s there so whatayagonnado. In fact all my newer pistols except my 1911’s have it.

“Life’s tough … it’s even tougher if you’re stupid.”
John Wayne

Old 01-10-2012, 05:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjgnwdc View Post
Not really sure what you're talking about with the jury and trying to convince them I know more than the designers
I personally would never remove mine, my Ruger MKIII, Bersa, Beretta PX4 Storm and S&W model 629 all have the hole and don’t care one way or the other it really doesn’t bother me, but it seems to really!!! bother the S&W connoisseurs or aficionados there are countless threads on the S&W forums about it… they in general really hate that hole. I guess I would rather not have it but it’s there so whatayagonnado. In fact all my newer pistols except my 1911’s have it.
My apologies.

I thought you were advocating the removal of the lock. While I am less then a fan of the lock I am more against the removal of it from what could be a legal liability standpoint. My convincing the jury part was for anyone that removes the lock. That's a tough argument to make and convince twelve people of.

Put me in the camp as one of the S&W guys that hates the hole. I have a couple of the lock equiped S&W revolvers but I wouldn't cry if I lost them in a boating accident because I really do dislike the lock, AKA: Hillary Hole. I'll trade them in on something else that doesn't have a lock one of these days.

Biker

Last edited by BikerRN; 01-10-2012 at 05:55 AM. Reason: typo

Old 01-10-2012, 06:49 AM   #19

Liked 260 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 367

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMyGlock View Post
I am interested in buying a .357mag with a 4 inch barrel. I can't decide whether I want a S&W 686 or a Ruger GP100. The price difference at my local gun shop is about $200, with the Ruger being the less expensive of the two. Is it worth the extra $200 for the S&W, or am I paying for the name? What would be the pros and cons of the two? And is there another .357 that I should be considering?

Thanks!
Dan Wesson 15-2 convertible

" Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. " - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #20

FYI: For less than $20 and a little time one can turn out a sweet shooting Ruger revolver.

Biker