S&w 65-2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns >

S&w 65-2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1728 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Default S&w 65-2

Hi folks,

I am rather new to the revolver world, most of my handguns have been autos.

I picked up a really nice S&W model 65-2, SS .357 revolver, in a pawn shop. The serial number indicates it was made in 1982. This revolver has a screw adjustment for the mainspring, located near the bottom of the front strap. You can adjust the trigger pull from "blow on it" to two hand trigger pull.

Is this a standard feature for this gun?

Also, some former owner buggered up some of the action screws that I would like to replace (with the proper screwdriver), and I have not located a source. I tried Numerich and Bob's, with no luck.

This gun really kind of hacked me off. The first time I shot it, I shot it better than the 1911 pistol I have carried and shot for years. I believe this revolver has a homing divice of some sort for the bullets.

Any help is appreciated.

Carl Sagan

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #2

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

What's the barrel length? Bet it isn't a snubby!

ALL my guns shoot better than me, my M19-3 shoots 10X better than me!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 10982 Times on 4757 Posts
Likes Given: 1805

That is NOT an adjustment screw. It maintains tension on the hammer spring. Backing it out DOES lighten trigger pull. It ALSO lightens the force with which the hammer falls- all the way to "too light to fire the primer".

Screw that puppy back down!

The trigger pull CAN be improved- by stoning the mating parts for a smoother movement. It does NOT involve removing metal from parts, it is BURNISHING parts- and not a good home gunsmithing project for a novice- it is far too easy to change angles on parts, rendering the gun unsafe. And do not let a Dremel in the same room with your revolver.

The model 65 was the standard sidearm for my department, and is a VERY good handgun- exceeded only by the Model 66. For screws, you might try customer service at S&W- 1-800-331-0852 (USA).

Most are more accurate than the average shooter- and action improves as the gun is shot- parts wearing in. Really good revolvers- good choice!

Last edited by c3shooter; 08-25-2011 at 03:13 AM.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3582 Times on 1838 Posts
Likes Given: 399

The strain screw is to be screwed ALL THE WAY IN. It is factory set to give 3.75 # of mainspring tension. That is the level required to reliably touch off Magnum primers.

BTW the M-65 is my favorite K-frame.

Last edited by robocop10mm; 08-26-2011 at 08:17 PM. Reason: derr

Old 08-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #5

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Hi folks,

I am rather new to the revolver world, most of my handguns have been autos.

I picked up a really nice S&W model 65-2, SS .357 revolver, in a pawn shop. The serial number indicates it was made in 1982. This revolver has a screw adjustment for the mainspring, located near the bottom of the front strap. You can adjust the trigger pull from "blow on it" to two hand trigger pull.

Is this a standard feature for this gun?

Also, some former owner buggered up some of the action screws that I would like to replace (with the proper screwdriver), and I have not located a source. I tried Numerich and Bob's, with no luck.

This gun really kind of hacked me off. The first time I shot it, I shot it better than the 1911 pistol I have carried and shot for years. I believe this revolver has a homing divice of some sort for the bullets.

Any help is appreciated.
EXCELLENT gun! Midway USA carries some of the screws for the 65 and they will special order, Brownells will too. Check them here:
Gunsmithing - Shop Gunsmithing Tools & Supplies at MidwayUSA

Newest Threads