Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&W 642 - Will Dry firing shorten the Service Life?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default S&W 642 - Will Dry firing shorten the Service Life?

Hi,

I recently bought a brand new SW 642 revolver and have been practicing dry firing using snap caps.

SW technical support said the service life of SW 642 is about 10,000 rounds before any major services on the revolver. I don't foresee shooting that many life ammo in the near future. Maybe 1,500 rounds a year for practicing. So I guess no service is needed in the next 6-7 years.

How about dry firing? Is it counted towards the 10,000 rounds Service Life S&W technician told me? In other words, will dry firing (with or without snap caps) shorten the Service Life of my 642?

Thanks for your input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-14-2012, 09:13 PM   #2

Liked 258 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf109 View Post
Hi,

I recently bought a brand new SW 642 revolver and have been practicing dry firing using snap caps.

SW technical support said the service life of SW 642 is about 10,000 rounds before any major services on the revolver. I don't foresee shooting that many life ammo in the near future. Maybe 1,500 rounds a year for practicing. So I guess no service is needed in the next 6-7 years.

How about dry firing? Is it counted towards the 10,000 rounds Service Life S&W technician told me? In other words, will dry firing (with or without snap caps) shorten the Service Life of my 642?

Thanks for your input.
If the striker is actually on the hammer itself you will not only reduce the life of the revolver but you can actually damage it if you don't have snap caps.

As for the rest. Yes , it will count as far as spring tension and general wear towards the firearm but it will be fine.

If your hammer is flat and strikes a firing pin internally then you don't require snap caps , but I'd say if ya gottem usem.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

FAQ on S&W website says it's safe to dry fire their revolvers. I imagine it includes the 642 I have. Fellows on this forum recommend using snap caps just to have a peace of mind.

So I've been using snap caps. Just curious what the S&W lifetime warranty covers. Malfunctions, wear and tear, replacement of parts if broken or worn out?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:39 PM   #4

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf109 View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your input.
NO, dry firing will not harm your Smithy. It is also some of the best practice you can do, other than going to the range. Dry firing is a great way to hone your grip, sight alignment and trigger control skills, period.............................

Jim......

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.