Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&w 640

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default S&w 640

I'm picking up a S&W 640 this afternoon. Found it for a pretty good price and meeting the guy at 1:00. I've seen them listed new for over $600 and the lowest I've seen is $470 used. This was advertised at $350. Hope it checks out. Really wanting another .357.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #2

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

That's a good price if it's nice. Let us know how it goes.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #3

Liked 40 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Thats a very good price and being stainless even if its finish is baet a little it can be easily made to look like new with a little elbo grease.Grips are fairly cheap if they need replaced. Long as its mecanicaly sound Your doing good at that price.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:36 AM   #4

Got busy and just now got back to the computer. The pistol has had mainly .38 run through it and was horribly filthy. I was surprised that a gun owned by a man who just put his retirement papers in with the US army would let a weapon get like that. I know my dad wouldn't have. Lock-up and rotation were just right, nice tight cylinder, good rifling and intact grips. The ejector was a bear to push out, it was so fouled up. I've got it so it works fine now, but am still getting some gunk out of it evidenced by the goo on the rod of the evector.

I bought some .38 and .357 rounds right after I bought it. I met the guy at a Walmart parking lot just outside of Ft. Riley, KS. Hopefully tomorrow I can celebrate 9/11 by firing off some rounds for my lost brothers.

Old 09-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Very nice piece. I like the heavier barrel and all steel construction, even if the gun is a little heavier than some of the other J-Frames. While the extra length on that grip is nice, especially when shooting magnums, the frame will take the smaller boot grip style stocks (like the Eagle Grip Secret Service model), which I personally prefer for a carry gun.

Enjoy!

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 09-12-2011, 02:26 PM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Very nice peice and you got a great deal.

Old 09-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #7

I brought it to work this morning to try to shoot before I clocked in. It was a little dark and the front sight was very hard to see as I tried to allign it with the rear slot in the top of the frame. I was able to hit a 10x12 inch box with a target on it from 10 yards about half the time. I need to do something with the front sight to make it more visible. I was either shooting high or low, depending on how lost I was trying to sight it. I was using .38 sp and recoil was no problem at all.

Later in the week I will try again when it is light enough to see clearly. Gotta run to my son's football game as soon as I get off tonight.

Newest Threads