S&W 637 .38 Snub
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&W 637 .38 Snub

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 157 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Default S&W 637 .38 Snub

Anyone own this gun or have any experience with it?I have had my eye on one for almost a year,and I can't stop thinking about it.There are new ones at our local shop for $440.What do you think,should I buy one?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2009, 09:47 PM   #2

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Check out Rock's 638;

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/smith-wesson-638-a-21086/#post199007

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-13-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I had a Model 37 for a long time and recently sold it to fund another project. It was a great snubbie.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2691 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Nice gun. Consider the spur hammer though. It can cause issues with drawing from a concealed position. DAO hammer will fix that. The 638 is the "bodyguard" frame that conceals the hammer but allows thumb cocking. It has issues with lint and gunk from pocket carry. A dime will fit in the gap and jam up the action.

The next option is the "Centennial Series" of Smiths. The M-642 would be one example. These are almost water tight and idiot proof, BUT the triggers are pretty stiff. You are not going to accidentally go bang with one of these.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-16-2009, 05:00 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm a long time SW owner; have a number of them both old and new. A year and a half ago I bought a NIB 637. Long story short, after three trips back to SW they took it back and gave me full credit; I bought a different Smith. In all of my years buying Smith & Wesson I've found them to be excellent, well made guns and the company's customer service is second to none. But the 637? I dunno' - lemon, Monday morning build, can't say. The action was rough, the cylinder release stuck, one time it flat out would not open the cylinder. Since then I've bought several more Smiths; all have been excellent.

... ed ...
MAINE - The Way Life Should Be ...

Old 12-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #6

I really like snubs,but if I'm going to get one I really think it needs to be in .38.I personally think small snubs shouldn't be in .357 or bigger after owning a small framed .357.I may go with a GP100 .357 in 4" also.I like the look and feel of snubs better,but I like the thought of a big .357 also.What are some advantages/disadvantages to a .38 smith snub Vs a .357 4" Ruger when it comes to a gun that i'm going to use as a home defense gun?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:13 PM   #7

Hi,

the you touched on the biggest part of the selection process at the beginning of the last post"i like snubs".
That is a major part of the weapons selection process.

As far as the caliber, if you are looking at 38/357, go with the 357.

I say the for a few reasons.

Flexible in ammo. Accepts all 38's including +P defensive ammo, and all 357's if you decide you want to go with full magnum loads.
That gives you several options and allows you to find the load you like the best, rather than being locked in to 38 only.

You can find 357's in a shorter barrell length than 4inches if you desire that. No issues with them.

From a home defense standpoint, either will kill the BG, its a personal choice of caliber.

The main thing is that just because the revolver is calibered in 357, you don't have to use 357 magnums if you don't want to.
Not true for the 38's, locked in to only 38 ammo period.

Stay Safe,

Chris

Old 12-16-2009, 11:11 PM   #8

I understand the whole,a .357 is better even in a small snub theory,but for me I think if i'm going to be getting a small framed snub,I'd rather have a .38.A gun that I plan on using mainly .38s in anyways,I feel better on the range knowing that I am using the maximum round that can be used in the gun,it's just one of my quirks,I feel like I am short changing myself everytime I fire a .38 out of a .357.If I'm going to get a .357,it needs to be a larger framed gun.So my delemma is do I get a small .38 or a large .357?Home defense only,but I haven't ruled out whether I will pursue my CCW or not yet.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:35 PM   #9

ok, since you have a love of snubbies, and they are great weapons, pick up the smith you are looking at. If you obtain a ccw license later, you are set.
You say you have a quirk about shooting 38's out of a 357, then you will just struggle with that later with the Ruger GP100.

Sounds to me like your best bet and what you will be most comfortable with is the smith 38.

Just one mans opinion.

Stay safe,

Chris

Old 12-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
Anyone own this gun or have any experience with it?I have had my eye on one for almost a year,and I can't stop thinking about it.There are new ones at our local shop for $440.What do you think,should I buy one?

new member here & former owner of a 637.

former because after 1 year, i sold it.

first of all, gun was flawless, not one issue ever..

i liked it because if a was walking from house to car etc. i could just stick it in my pocket. that's why i bought it.

however, @ 13ozs. or whatever it weighs, was a bear to shoot.

at the range one handed in DA my target looked like i used buckshot, i may have even killed a couple of innocent bystanders.

i will admit, at 63 yrs. old, i've lost some hand strength & it really showed here.

SA was much better, one handed i could keep it in the 10 ring consistantly.

now i realize this is not a range gun, but practice is recommended. secondly, in a SD situation, you may not have time to do the mental checklist before firing.

i was not confident i could hit my target one handed, using DA in a pressure situation.

last point, it's only a 5 shot cylinder, you typical .357 is 6 or even 7, i mean, you never know.

bought at a gun show, july '08 for $400.00 NIB.
trailblazer