S&W 629 vs S&W 629-1 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&W 629 vs S&W 629-1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 02:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I have an odd 629-1

Some pics:

It's a 2.5" magna ported 629-1 that I picked up not too long ago. It's pinned but doesn't have recessed cylinders. It might've been a regular +4" 629-1 that someone had chopped and worked on, even the trigger is amazingly smooth.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:07 AM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

It's not just S&W, nearly every manufacturer makes a good first model then starts to take shortcuts and cut costs after it becomes popular. At least Smith has the decency to put a -1 etc so you realize somethings changed even if you're not an "expert".

Old 12-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

Well, I detect a significant amount of Smith bashing here. If the 29 is better than the 29-1, is the "pre-29" not then even better. Therefore the numbered models are all junk by comparison?

"Pinned and recessed" is better than the later versions.
Barrels were pinned to the frame because tht was the only way they could get them to stay in place and not unscrew. Manufacturing techniques, machines and tools and general engineering know how have evolved and there are now other ways to tackle the problem that happen to cost less and take less time to do. A "crush fit" barrel is not any more likely to fail than a pinned barrel.
Cylinders were recessed on the original S&W revolvers, so they continued to do it until they figured out is was not necessary any more partially because solid head case design does not need to be recessed. Is it more expensive to recess the cylinder? Of course. Is it "better"? That depends on your definition of better. The recesses will cause chambering problems if the case rim is dinged. The recess is also an area that will gather dirt and powder fouling.

Other "revisions" over the years include;
changing the ejector rod threads from right to left handed.
eliminating the "5th screw" on the side plate.
eliminating the "4th screw" in front of the trigger guard.
changing the crane retention screw.
adding the key lock to the left side of the frame.

IMHO the above revisions are all "improvements" except for the lock.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-12-2010, 05:22 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
Well, I detect a significant amount of Smith bashing here. If the 29 is better than the 29-1, is the "pre-29" not then even better. Therefore the numbered models are all junk by comparison?

"Pinned and recessed" is better than the later versions.
Barrels were pinned to the frame because tht was the only way they could get them to stay in place and not unscrew. Manufacturing techniques, machines and tools and general engineering know how have evolved and there are now other ways to tackle the problem that happen to cost less and take less time to do. A "crush fit" barrel is not any more likely to fail than a pinned barrel.
Cylinders were recessed on the original S&W revolvers, so they continued to do it until they figured out is was not necessary any more partially because solid head case design does not need to be recessed. Is it more expensive to recess the cylinder? Of course. Is it "better"? That depends on your definition of better. The recesses will cause chambering problems if the case rim is dinged. The recess is also an area that will gather dirt and powder fouling.

Other "revisions" over the years include;
changing the ejector rod threads from right to left handed.
eliminating the "5th screw" on the side plate.
eliminating the "4th screw" in front of the trigger guard.
changing the crane retention screw.
adding the key lock to the left side of the frame.

IMHO the above revisions are all "improvements" except for the lock.
If my question has been seen as "bashing" let me say that was not the intent. I was just asking a question, period, and I got the answer.
I don't see anything wrong with what they do, it's their strategy. Just look at the auto business, cars in the first year of a new model have many issues and as the next model year approaches engineers have fixed many of them for the second year models. Everyone knows that this is their strategy but unlike S&W every iteration gets more expensive because they add more options as standard features, air bags are a good example.
Anyway, thanks for the answer and it wasn't at all my intent to ruffle any feathers.

BTW: How would you know if you had a pre-29 model, how is it id'ed?

Life Member: MOPH
Life Member: USMC
Life Member: DAV
Life Member: VVA
Member: NRA
COTEP MEMBER #CBOB0391
DW VBOB
KIMBER ULTRA CDP
KIMBER PRO CRIMSON CARRY
GLOCK 19
S&W 686 SSR
S&W M&P SHIELD

Old 12-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2983 Times on 1554 Posts
Likes Given: 275

It was not you doing the bashing. The guns get more expensive because of inflation. The value of the dollar gets lower so the price goes up. If they had not instituted the updates the guns would be astronomical in price. The early Magnums (.357, .44) were essentially handmade works of art, built by very skilled craftsmen. To make one of these today would give a price tag of $5000 or so.

The "Pre-29's" are basically 29's with no model number under the crane.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball