S&W 620 vs. 686 plus?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&W 620 vs. 686 plus?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2008, 01:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default S&W 620 vs. 686 plus?

Can't decide:
Both guns are 7 shot, medium frame, 4" barrel. Both have essentially the same overall length. The only differences I can see are that the 686 has a full length barrel shroud, and so is a couple of ounces heavier(not a concern)
Other than that, the 620 is about $40 cheaper. Is there something I'm missing? Obviously the less expensive gun would be my first choice, but then I got to thinking: having the full length shroud would (theoretically) give the barrel more stability, therefore better accuracy, but with a 4" barrel, does that really matter?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2008, 02:40 PM   #2

Liked 252 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Wasn't too sure what the Model 620 was until I looked it up. From what I could determine, S & W is dropping all K-Frame revolvers, and the 620 is an L-Frame successor.

So, in essence, the only difference is the full lug barrel. I own two Model 586 guns, both early L-Frame blued guns, one a 4" and the other a 6" gun. My own personal preference has been toward muzzle heavy guns, and the 586/686 fits my wants perfectly. The weight out toward the muzzle seems to get me on target a little faster, and dampens recoil more, though with a .357 Magnum recoil is not that much of a problem.

If I were buying, I'd go with the full lug barrel.

Here are some of my Model 29s, two with full lug barrels I had S&W make up for me many years ago.

Bob Wright

Old 08-30-2008, 04:16 AM   #3

I'm going through the same evaluation process. The 620 has a 2 piece barrel, with a half -length under lug. I looked at both guns very closely this evening and those were the only differences I saw. I had a couple of 686s in 6" which got stolen, and I absolutely loved them. I have a 619 which is the fixed sight version of the 620 and will see how it shoots before I make the choice. I'll probably end up with the 686 Plus, because the solid mass of metal just seems more substantial and less likely to have problems down the road from heavy use.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:20 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by argyle View Post
I'm going through the same evaluation process. The 620 has a 2 piece barrel, with a half -length under lug. I looked at both guns very closely this evening and those were the only differences I saw. I had a couple of 686s in 6" which got stolen, and I absolutely loved them. I have a 619 which is the fixed sight version of the 620 and will see how it shoots before I make the choice. I'll probably end up with the 686 Plus, because the solid mass of metal just seems more substantial and less likely to have problems down the road from heavy use.
The really nice thing about 686's is they are build like Sherman tanks... I have always had a fondness for 686's especially the 6" versions. I taught my wife to shoot on a 686...

Old 08-31-2008, 03:43 AM   #5

Once upon a time I had a 686 w/ the 8.4" barrel I'm not sure that length is even available now. I also shoot a 4" 686 rental gun at the range occasionally. So it looks like it'll be the 686plus Then I'll pick up a Henry Big Boy lever action(made in the USA!) chambered in .357mag as a companion..

Old 08-31-2008, 04:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
Once upon a time I had a 686 w/ the 8.4" barrel I'm not sure that length is even available now. I also shoot a 4" 686 rental gun at the range occasionally. So it looks like it'll be the 686plus Then I'll pick up a Henry Big Boy lever action(made in the USA!) chambered in .357mag as a companion..
I looked at a nice selection of used 686s tonight, and I would definitely go with it over the 620. I just like the looks of that solid chunk of metal on the business end rather than the "insert" look of the 620 barrel. The heft seems to make the balance feel a bit better. The strangest thing was that even the oldest ones with the firing pin on the hammer weren't much cheaper than new ones. The darn things are like potato chips - you can't stop with just one. I would like to eventually get one in all 3 sizes - 2.5", 4", and 6". I picked up a blued Ruger GP100 in 4" at a really good price this week, which also whetted my appetite for a 6" in SS. I've got a Marlin 1894C in 357 - from back before they added the safety. Good thing my last car payment will be made in a few days.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:34 AM   #7

The Marlin 1894's are sweet, especially with the laminated Dymondwood Stock and the satin stainless... Mmmmm tasty! I just want a lever action that has that cowboy look with the brass receiver. Plus Henry is made entirely in the USA. (is the MArlin 100% American made? I dunno)

Old 09-01-2008, 11:16 AM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by argyle View Post
I looked at a nice selection of used 686s tonight, and I would definitely go with it over the 620. I just like the looks of that solid chunk of metal on the business end rather than the "insert" look of the 620 barrel. The heft seems to make the balance feel a bit better. The strangest thing was that even the oldest ones with the firing pin on the hammer weren't much cheaper than new ones. The darn things are like potato chips - you can't stop with just one. I would like to eventually get one in all 3 sizes - 2.5", 4", and 6". I picked up a blued Ruger GP100 in 4" at a really good price this week, which also whetted my appetite for a 6" in SS. I've got a Marlin 1894C in 357 - from back before they added the safety. Good thing my last car payment will be made in a few days.
That's how it all starts... one gun, then two, and then the "I got to have that one for sure". Before you know it... you have tons of guns. You gotta love it!