Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&w 500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1355 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Default S&w 500

A neighbor brought the beast over yesterday and I fired 40 rounds of Magtech 500sw 400gr SJSP. That's about $100 worth of pain. There comes a time when a good thing becomes too much of a good thing and aside from the intimidation factor, I can't see too much reason to lug artillery like this around, even in grizzly country, where a Taurus Judge or 44 Mag would be a lighter alternative as a back-up sidearm.

I won't go so far as to call it's enormous size/power a gimmick, but the recoil is almost ludicrous. There are not many handguns that make me wince or miss a target at 30 yrds, but I think my first 4 rounds ended up somewhere in Mexico.

After firing 40 rounds, I had to sit down, drink a beer and tell my neighbor to take the damn thing away.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have a vido clip of a little lady, abt 110 lbs. soaking wet, fireing mine with a full house 440 gr. bullet. It was the first day she ever fired a handgun. She started on a 629 S&W. But she only fired 2 rounds befor she had enough. But if you wanting something that will jump alittle more I let you try my Encore with the 460 S&W barrel on it. As for stopping a griz with a 44 mag I would not want to try it. I heard a couple of stories, while I was in Alaska, from guy who had friends try it. While they will kill them, they won`t stop them and a griz that already has taken a killing shot can do alot od damage befor he figures out he is dead, maybe even kill you.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 12-19-2010, 12:36 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5475 Times on 2861 Posts
Likes Given: 355

i rank it right down there in the muck with the taurus judge and 40sw another solution in search of a problem.

a fun gun with no practical purpose.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-19-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Comparing that thing to a judge is like comparing a Corvette to a yugo. I have to admit I have some interest in the S&W magnums but if I were going to buy one I think I would lean towards the 460 flavor. Flatter shooting, carries almost the same energy, and you can shoot 45 LC, 454 Casull or 460 mags.

This gun has no practical purpose? Are you serious? I can think of several uses right here in NC. I could hunt deer, bear, not to mention just target shooting. I also could hunt any large game in North America with that pistol,

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #5

I love my 500 I wore one out and am on my 2 nd one had the 83/8 bbl first time now have 6 inch much better easier to carry hand load 350 grain berries plated preferred bullets at about 1400 fps shoots like dream and will stop anythin around here bout like 44 mag recoil good for squirrels they are cleaned and blanched when you pick them up!

Old 12-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5475 Times on 2861 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Comparing that thing to a judge is like comparing a Corvette to a yugo. I have to admit I have some interest in the S&W magnums but if I were going to buy one I think I would lean towards the 460 flavor. Flatter shooting, carries almost the same energy, and you can shoot 45 LC, 454 Casull or 460 mags.

This gun has no practical purpose? Are you serious? I can think of several uses right here in NC. I could hunt deer, bear, not to mention just target shooting. I also could hunt any large game in North America with that pistol,
i think it does fall in there as does the desert eagle. and a few other guns that are more practical as toys than as practical firearm.

im not speaking quality of the weapon itself but more of the use.

ive got a DE 50ae and a 44mag barrel for it. i enjoy shooting it but i dont think it rates as anything more than a unique range toy. just like a judge or 500sw.

put that 500sw in a carbine and now you have a real useful round. i could see real use for a semi auto or lever action rifle in 500sw

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #7
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1355 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Yeah, you can hunt anything with them. I know guys who hung hogs with em. I didn't find any fault with the gun and didn't expect to. But it's a revolver that's got more kick than any grenade launcher I've ever fired.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 12-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #8

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I have to confess that I have always thought the 8” .500 was excessively muzzle heavy as well as excessively heavy. My 6 ½” PC Hunter is a couple of oz. lighter, but I still wouldn’t carry it as a defensive tool. I have a 4” standard and a 5” John Ross Special that each weight about 57 oz., a little heavy, but doable.

If you decide to get one, handloading is my answer to ammo cost and recoil. I love to load down my .500s and play with them. Even loaded down, they have more smash than anything else, and recoil becomes very reasonable.

img_4247.jpg  

Old 12-31-2010, 09:51 PM   #9
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6965 Times on 4190 Posts
Likes Given: 8385

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
I love my 500 I wore one out and am on my 2 nd one had the 83/8 bbl first time now have 6 inch much better easier to carry hand load 350 grain berries plated preferred bullets at about 1400 fps shoots like dream and will stop anythin around here bout like 44 mag recoil good for squirrels they are cleaned and blanched when you pick them up!
How the heck do you wear out a S&W 500? I thought they were built like tanks.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:01 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

You can wear out darn near anything. A barrel will wear out after enough rounds have gone thru it but long before that will happen in a revolver, especially a magnum revolver with high pressures and heavy recoil it will go out of time or the cylinder will become loose(it will slide back and forth too much. Don't worry, your GP is fine....I promise). Both can be repaired but not infinately.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Newest Threads