Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   S & W .38 special police trade-in (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/s-w-38-special-police-trade-9645/)

skullcrusher 01-04-2009 06:08 PM

S & W .38 special police trade-in

I just bought one yesterday. Got a good price for a good gun. How can I find out the age or some history on this gun? I shot it already, and I was surprised of the small recoil and still very accurate! :D

Dillinger 01-04-2009 06:27 PM

S & W keeps good records, and they make them available to their customers - Send them a written request with the serial number and perhaps a picture and see what they have on record.

JD

skullcrusher 01-04-2009 06:32 PM

I was on their site, and they want $50.00 to request history. This was a raise in price from $30.00 recently. I'm not sure I am $50.00 curious. Is there a way to at least tell the age of the gun by it's serial # or something? Dealer was not sure of the age, just that it was police issue and trade-in. Most police stopped carrying revolvers as their main weapon several years ago, no?

Dillinger 01-04-2009 06:36 PM

Wow! $50.00?!?! :eek: Holy crap has that ever gone up. Sweet Baby Jesus - They apparently are no longer the customer friendly dealer they used to be.

Sorry bro - I honestly did not know that.

Bob Wright is a member here who knows just about everything in the world of revolvers. You might shoot him a PM as I am sure he can point you at least in a direction that won't cost 50 bones....

JD

greenjeans 01-04-2009 10:24 PM

The guys on the S&W Forum can tell you quickly with a Model # and Serial #. Most of the guys over there are serious about their S&Ws and are very willing to help.

Bob Wright 01-05-2009 02:48 PM

Yep, smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums will get you what you're looking for.

Bob Wright

skullcrusher 01-05-2009 09:57 PM

Thanks! I'll go there. This forum rocks! :D

skullcrusher 01-05-2009 10:04 PM

Well, that was a minor disappointment. Apparently, I cannot use my AOL e-mail account there. I wonder why this is. Can't use Yahoo or Hotmail either. Oh well, if they don't want me or my opinions, I don't need them either.

raveneap 01-06-2009 12:46 AM

skullcrusher, if you want to give me the model and serial number ( use "x" for the last couple of digits if u want) I'll look it up for you in the SCSW 3rd. ed. and let you know.

Mark F 01-06-2009 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 59883)
Well, that was a minor disappointment. Apparently, I cannot use my AOL e-mail account there. I wonder why this is. Can't use Yahoo or Hotmail either. Oh well, if they don't want me or my opinions, I don't need them either.

They are rather pissy over at the S&W Forum... I couldn't ever get logged on. So I blew them off.