Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&W .357Mag Model 60 advice/suggestions/comments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 04:37 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

randomoutburst,

1st off, I would like to welccome you to the Board.
Hope you stick around & find a home here. Stop by the "Introductions Forum"
and introduce yourself to the gang.

I appreciate your posted thread, giving a women's view on my topic.
You seem knowledgable about the gun and carrying it.
My wife also likes the S&W 60, but is worried about the weight. She has a S&W .38 Spl. +P, model 36LS and is looking for a lighter gun. My wife plans on carrying the gun in her purse or backpack, which ever she is using at the time.

How do you like the weight of the gun during an all day carry?
Have you handled the 360 Kit Gun? The reason I ask is because this seems to be the lightest gun that meets my wife's needs.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:58 AM   #22

Thanks for your welcome - I joined for the purpose of responding to your post! But I think I might stay now that I'm here.
I was initially worried about the weight as well but I handle it fine with a good belt. As I said before, it is a great help in recoil especially when using the .357. I am 20 so don't have a CHL yet but I do have a holster already in preparation for my 21st birthday and CHL. For now I carry my gun on me while in my home and while in my vehicle. I couldn't tell you how it feels in a purse or backpack as I have never tried to carry it that way - I prefer on-body carry. Still, I personally don't think the weight is a huge issue for me as it becomes part of my wardrobe, not an add-on. I also carry it every day so it feels odd NOT having it. The weight became more of a comfort than a burden in my case.
I have not handled the 360 Kit Gun, so I cannot offer my opinion on it. My apologies as I wish I could! If it meets your wife's criteria and she likes it, I would go with that one...but I do hope she considers the S&W 60 because it really is a great little revolver. If she's like other women I've met and the weight really does bother her, then maybe it's just me that's the exception to the rule. Hope you find a gun that works for her, keep us posted!

Old 10-12-2009, 05:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomoutburst View Post
Thanks for your welcome - I joined for the purpose of responding to your post! But I think I might stay now that I'm here.
well, I truly appreciate that. I hope you stay & feel at home here. Great bunch of people here. Don't forget to stop by the the Introduction section and introduce yourself to the gang.
Quote:
I was initially worried about the weight as well but I handle it fine with a good belt. As I said before, it is a great help in recoil especially when using the .357. I am 20 so don't have a CHL yet but I do have a holster already in preparation for my 21st birthday and CHL. For now I carry my gun on me while in my home and while in my vehicle. I couldn't tell you how it feels in a purse or backpack as I have never tried to carry it that way - I prefer on-body carry. Still, I personally don't think the weight is a huge issue for me as it becomes part of my wardrobe, not an add-on. I also carry it every day so it feels odd NOT having it. The weight became more of a comfort than a burden in my case.
I have not handled the 360 Kit Gun, so I cannot offer my opinion on it. My apologies as I wish I could! If it meets your wife's criteria and she likes it, I would go with that one...but I do hope she considers the S&W 60 because it really is a great little revolver. If she's like other women I've met and the weight really does bother her, then maybe it's just me that's the exception to the rule. Hope you find a gun that works for her, keep us posted!
randomoutburst, you have given many good reasons to reconsider the 60.
I'll have to bring my S&W gal back down to the gun store for a second look. Thanks. I'll keep everyone updated.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:25 AM   #24

Haha I hope all goes well.
I would also like to add that the S&W (unsurprisingly) performs better in regards to trigger pull compared to other comparable revolvers I considered. I also broke mine in by snap-capping it during the two weeks I was unable to go to the range. Broke the bank with the actual gun; I had to get more money for ammo and the range fee! Anyway, after dry-firing the gun with the snap caps for that long I figure I must have worked the trigger action close to 1000 times. By the time I got to the range the trigger was like butter.
Now I feel like I need to go handle that 360 Kit Gun just so I know what it feels like!

If you are in the Dallas/Rockwall area I found an FFL in Sunnyvale that had the model 60 for the cheapest I've seen it online or in the metroplex. It's called S.A.W. They had a wide selection and also seemed to have reasonable prices on most other guns, too, so even if you don't go with the S&W that store might be worth looking at.

Last edited by randomoutburst; 10-12-2009 at 05:34 AM.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:02 AM   #25

randomoutburst,

That's good to know about the trigger pull, especially being compared to others. I totally agree with ya' about weight & recoil. My S&W gal is a country girl and has been around firearms all her life, mostly rifles. She knows a lighter gun will have more kick, but she is prepared for it. Like she tells me, it won't be one that she practices with...once she gets it sighted in it'll be for defense. Only to be used at the range for brush up & polishing- to keep in touch with, if you will.

I'm liking the 60 for her, because of all your reasons and more. She has to make the final decision, because it will be her gun. Does that FFL in Sunnyvale have a website? Because we live deep in the woods near Brooksville, FL.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
randomoutburst,

That's good to know about the trigger pull, especially being compared to others. I totally agree with ya' about weight & recoil. My S&W gal is a country girl and has been around firearms all her life, mostly rifles. She knows a lighter gun will have more kick, but she is prepared for it. Like she tells me, it won't be one that she practices with...once she gets it sighted in it'll be for defense. Only to be used at the range for brush up & polishing- to keep in touch with, if you will.

I'm liking the 60 for her, because of all your reasons and more. She has to make the final decision, because it will be her gun. Does that FFL in Sunnyvale have a website? Because we live deep in the woods near Brooksville, FL.
I checked and I can't find a website for them. Sorry about that.
Like I said, keep us updated because I'd love to see what she ends up choosing. Glad she's well-learned in firearms - makes it a lot easier when shopping.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:22 AM   #27

Quote:
I checked and I can't find a website for them. Sorry about that.
That's too bad, I like to compare prices it gives me more ammo when I'm bargaining.
Quote:
Like I said, keep us updated because I'd love to see what she ends up choosing. Glad she's well-learned in firearms - makes it a lot easier when shopping.
I will.
First, I want to find a S&W 360 Kit Gun for her to handle and look at.
S&W stopped making them in 2007. So, if they are a great firearm most people won't be trading them in for something else. Time will tell.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:23 AM   #28

Yeah, I feel you on bargaining thing. There is another shop close to my home called Bullet Trap but they don't have gun prices online as they are primarily a range, not a shop. They are selling the Model 60 for only ten more bucks than S.A.W. at $629.99. If they wanted to call to check prices then that might work. Eh.

I think if I find a range with a 360 Kit Gun available for rent I'll try it out, just to say I have...but I can't say I'm a fan of lightweight guns. I like to feel the weight of the gun both in my hands and on my hip. But it's always worth trying new guns though because you never know when you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:42 AM   #29
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

The S&W model 60 is a superbe revolver, and one of the "few" I don't have. When I was looking for a .357 the model 60 was on the top of my list. However, I ended up getting a 686 and a Colt King Cobra.

Eventually I'll latch on to a model 60....

Old 10-13-2009, 05:08 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

UnderFire, if Jacksonville isn't too far for you: Model 60 Revolver - 3"

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs