Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&W .357Mag Model 60 advice/suggestions/comments

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default S&W .357Mag Model 60 advice/suggestions/comments

Hey all,

The wife has been hinting that she would like to have a .357 magnum.
She's a Smith gal and doesn't want to get rid of or trade her S&W .38 spl. +P model 36LS, which I can't really blame her.

I'm thinking of getting the S&W Model 60 for her and giving it to her for Christmas. I like the fact that the Model 60 is a "J" frame chambered in .357.
Also when I have handled these revolvers in the past I have remembered that they had a nice feel & plenty of grip. I will bring her to the local gun stores to handle several revolvers to get her opinion on what's best for her.

I would like to hear from members who own, used, tried this particular model, so that I can get a better understanding of this handgun.
If this topic has already been discussed please give me a link so that I can read up on this model. I looked, but couldn't find anything.
Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #2

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

My wife's SD/HD handgun is a model 60. She practices shooting it double action with .38's in it. For protection use, it's loaded with Federal .38 hollowpoints.

With .357's, it's pretty snappy, but not unmanageable. I've shot .357's through it and have no issues, but .38 HP's are definitely easier to shoot.

The model 60 has a nice heft to it and shoots where it's pointed. I think that if your wife wants one, it will be an excellent choice. However, it it's strictly for home defense and not to be carried, something with a longer barrel is easier to shoot and will handle .357's more comfortably.

If that's the case, you might take a look at a Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel. It's considerably heavier and the longer barrel makes a big difference in recoil.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-04-2009, 09:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post

However, it it's strictly for home defense and not to be carried, something with a longer barrel is easier to shoot and will handle .357's more comfortably.

If that's the case, you might take a look at a Ruger SP101 with a 3" barrel. It's considerably heavier and the longer barrel makes a big difference in recoil.
CA357,
Thanks for your reply!!
My wife is hoping to carry it with her. She was telling me that since the weather is getting cooler, her and her sister are going to ride bicycles at parks, beaches, etc, and was hoping to put it in her backpack. She mentioned that she would like a lighter gun, because the .38spl she has now is sometimes uncomfortable because of the weight. She wants to run .357mag loads through it for self defense. Also, she's a "Smith gal"...I really don't think she'll go for another brand. I know, I know that's ridicuious, but that's my gal.
Any other suggestions in the S&W family?

Old 10-04-2009, 09:20 PM   #4

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The 60 will definitely be heavier than her Ladysmith, but there's nothing wrong with .38+P's as a self defense load. If she insists on .357 for carry, then the model 60 will do the job. However, maybe one of the concealed/shrouded hammer models like a 640 or 642 would be better.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-05-2009, 02:06 AM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I have a 640 and a 60 Pro. I like both of them, but they are both about 25 oz. If she wants something lighter, consider the Scandium guns. I also have a 340. I use the 640 for practice.

IMO, the .357 J frame guns are just .38s with enhanced safety margins of strength. Not a bad thing. The aluminum guns are best carried a lot and shot a little. You may want to steel gun for serious practice.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:32 PM   #6

Quote:
The 60 will definitely be heavier than her Ladysmith, but there's nothing wrong with .38+P's as a self defense load.If she insists on .357 for carry, then the model 60 will do the job.
Very True, especially loaded. I think I'm going to have a problem finding her a light gun in a .357 caliber.

Quote:
However, maybe one of the concealed/shrouded hammer models like a 640 or 642 would be better.
Only problem with these models is that they are double action only. She likes the single action option to be included.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem View Post
I have a 640 and a 60 Pro. I like both of them, but they are both about 25 oz. If she wants something lighter, consider the Scandium guns. I also have a 340. I use the 640 for practice.
It's funny you mention the "Scandium" series...I was at a big gun shop today and handled the "Night Guard" model 327, nice gun, but it weights 27.6 oz and has eight shots. When it's loaded I feel she won't like the extra weight.
The 340 is nice, but it's double action only. My gal likes both SA & DA revolvers.

Quote:
IMO, the .357 J frame guns are just .38s with enhanced safety margins of strength. Not a bad thing. The aluminum guns are best carried a lot and shot a little. You may want to steel gun for serious practice.
Very true. At the same store I saw & handled a Stainless Steel model 60 with a 3" barrel and "Light Gathering" HI-VIZ Red Dot front sight. At the same price as the standard SS model 60. Sharp firearm, but it weights 24.1 oz. unloaded. I also saw the Pro Series version of the 60, it also is stainless steel with a 3" barrel and weights 23.2 oz. and a bit higher on the price. If you notice I'm looking at the 3" barrel models. I believe recoil & muzzle flip will be tamer on the 3" model vs. the 2" model. My wife has a .38 spl model 36LS w/ a 2" barrel that she shoots very well, but she's wanting to run .357mag loads in this particular firearm. So, I believe a 3" barrel would be best for her.

Old 10-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
It's funny you mention the "Scandium" series...I was at a big gun shop today and handled the "Night Guard" model 327, nice gun, but it weights 27.6 oz and has eight shots. When it's loaded I feel she won't like the extra weight.
The 340 is nice, but it's double action only. My gal likes both SA & DA revolvers.
Scandium or any other N frame for concealed carry? Right.

Perhaps, if she wants a hammer for single action, she might want to take a look at the 360.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Scandium or any other N frame for concealed carry? Right.
Come to think of it...that model 327 was a big gun; Large Frame. It wasn't until your post mentioning the "N" frame, that it hit me.
Although women have an easier time concealing a firearm, I'm looking for a small to medium framed Smith & Wesson.

Quote:
Perhaps, if she wants a hammer for single action, she might want to take a look at the 360.
Does this model have a 3" barrel?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
Come to think of it...that model 327 was a big gun; Large Frame. It wasn't until your post mentioning the "N" frame, that it hit me.
Although women have an easier time concealing a firearm, I'm looking for a small to medium framed Smith & Wesson.

Does this model have a 3" barrel?
It did. The 360 Kit Gun. Don't think it is currently in the catalog. 3" barrel with the HiViz front sight and V rear sight. I have one, but I changed out the sights to a black serrated ramp front and square notch rear.

The scandium guns shoot well, but with reasonably powerful loads they become very difficult to control. I have Pachmayr Decelerator grips on mine. They help a lot with my large hands. With .38 loads, it is a ***** cat.

Catalog photo of 360 Kit Gun