S&w 357
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&w 357

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2012, 01:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default S&w 357

i have a( s/w 357 27-5) i was looking for lazer grips at w.a.c. gun show the vendor wanted me to bring it in to see it he said it was a november frame ( BFN ) but if i was'nt selling it he did'nt want to tell me why he was so interested he wanted to know if i had original gripes (yes) and box and owners manual (no) dose any one know any thing about my s/w

BigMac

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8855 Times on 3835 Posts
Likes Given: 1382

Hi Mac! Welcome to the forum- when you get a minute, drop by the intro thread and say hello.

About your revolver- S&W made guns in different lettered frame sizes. Higher letter, Bigger frame. A little Chief's Special 5 shot snubby is a J frame. The standard Model 10 or Model 64, 65, 66 is a K frame. Yours is an N frame- big boy. Started making those in 1935 when the .357 first came out. SOME are "registered magnums" with a registry number marked on the gun- runs the price WAY up.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:00 AM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
i have a( s/w 357 27-5) i was looking for lazer grips at w.a.c. gun show the vendor wanted me to bring it in to see it he said it was a november frame ( BFN ) but if i was'nt selling it he did'nt want to tell me why he was so interested he wanted to know if i had original gripes (yes) and box and owners manual (no) dose any one know any thing about my s/w
The Model 27 was the Rolls Royce of the early S&W 357s. An early model in good shape with no mars and good high gloss bluing with box and original grips is worth a bit of money. He was probably going to try and talk you out of it for a song. Honestly, if someone came to me to inquire about putting laser grips on a vintage S&W I would try and cheat him out of it as well.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 09-28-2012, 04:06 AM   #4

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

He said a 27-5 or 5th change. Once you get above -2 the price goes way down. A 27 no dash 3.5 is a sought after Mdl.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
The Model 27 was the Rolls Royce of the early S&W 357s. An early model in good shape with no mars and good high gloss bluing with box and original grips is worth a bit of money. He was probably going to try and talk you out of it for a song. Honestly, if someone came to me to inquire about putting laser grips on a vintage S&W I would try and cheat him out of it as well.
-5 = 5th engineering change = made between 1989 and 1992(goes for this model only, varies among others). Nothing vintage about a gun made ten years after S&W stopping pinning barrels and recessing the cylinders(-3 model, 1982)