S&w .357
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&w .357

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2010, 01:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default S&w .357

Does anyone have any personal experience with 4 and 6" .357 from Tarus, Rossi, etc. as well as an S&W that can give an honest comparisson? What I'm really curious to know is if the extra money is just because you're buying the name S&W or is the quality really that much better?

Also, what are the advantages of having a 4" compared to a 6" and vice versa? I've owned a 2" Tarus .38 for years and love it but I want to get a
.357 for more stopping power and home defense. How much difference does the barrel length make when it comes to kickback, accuracy, etc? I'm asking because as a law enforcement officer, I've only shot .40 semi autos for my entire career and know next to nothing about revolvers.

Thank you in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-13-2010, 01:21 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3098 Times on 1781 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Welcome to the FTF, when you get a chance, stop by the "Introductions".
My experience has been that the 4" is more practical as a general usage handgun.
Now which one? Well, if it was me...
S&W would be number 1. Ruger, Colt (older model), Taurus (paying close attention to some quality control issues), Rossi (if that is all I could afford).
S&W revolvers have been around for a couple of years and more smiths can work on them than the other brands.
My list above is what I would consider in quality.
Barrel length has minimal affect of felt recoil, but the longer barrel does have an effect on sight picture. For target, 6", for practical, self defense, 4", for hideout, 2".

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 08-13-2010, 01:28 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I'm a Smith fan, so I was surprised when I did a side by side shoot with the Ruger that I liked the Ruger 357 better. The guys at the range were not surprised. They said the Ruger was the better gun at this time. So the Ruger is on the wish list now.

Having the money to get everything on the wish list is also on the wish list.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:44 AM   #4

Liked 2008 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 1342

I have an older S&W 357. It is a 586. It is the 6" barreled model. I also own a S&W 642-2. That is the 38 snubby. I have never owned a Ruger revolver. I have shot one or two. I have owned several Taurus guns. I am not going to start bashing Taurus. (Even though I could) I will just say, there is no comparison. My 6 inch 586 is the sweetest shooting revolver I have ever shot. The trigger is amazing.

I got rid of my Taurus M85 ultralite to buy my 642-2. I am glad that I did. You really do get what you pay for.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #5

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Like most everything in life, you do get what you pay for. Taurus is nowhere even close to the quality of S&W or Ruger - and that's a well documented fact. Spend some time with Google and this is not hard decision. If you want a gun that will perform as expected and last a lifetime - save the pennies and buy quality...

Old 08-13-2010, 02:26 PM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienhunter1015 View Post
Does anyone have any personal experience with 4 and 6" .357 from Tarus, Rossi, etc. as well as an S&W that can give an honest comparisson? What I'm really curious to know is if the extra money is just because you're buying the name S&W or is the quality really that much better?
I have shot all three of those above listed makers and owned Taurus, S & W and Ruger (no Rossi). I currently own only S & W and Ruger and will NEVER own another Taurus.

The "extra money" goes towards quality, which leads to you feeling pride, joy when shooting/showing, the gratification of passing the given revolver onto your offspring and watching them feel and share the same pride and joy.

Are you buying the name??? Hell yes!!! And you are also buying the traits that come along with that name!

Quote:
Also, what are the advantages of having a 4" compared to a 6" and vice versa? I've owned a 2" Tarus .38 for years and love it but I want to get a
.357 for more stopping power and home defense. How much difference does the barrel length make when it comes to kickback, accuracy, etc? I'm asking because as a law enforcement officer, I've only shot .40 semi autos for my entire career and know next to nothing about revolvers.

Thank you in advance.
6" barreled revolvers are great for target shooting, hunting and woods guns. 4" barreled guns are good for all of the same, but are more accessible, mobile and shoot close enough to the same accuracy. I prefer a 4" (or even 3") for general purposes.

Get a quality Smith or Ruger and be proud!

Old 08-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #7

I have a smith and wesson 586 that has a 8 3/8" barrel. But I have shot or owned all, with the exception of the rossi, at one time. Now if you were comparing a 4" barrel to my 8 3/8", the longer barrel definately has less recoil and better ballistic performance. Now a 6" compared to a 4" really does not have a very large difference in recoil and the 6" will have a light increase ballistic performance. I would go with the 4" if you are using it for self defense but would choose the 6" if you were to double it as a hunting pistol. I personally would stay away from the Tauras as I have had bad experience owning them. I feel the quality is shoty, not to say all Taurases are bad but the quality is inconsistent. Smiths are very well made and I would take a used Smith over a new Tauras anyday. Is the price increase justified, yeah without a question. I have several Rugers and they are well built. I feel the triggers on Smith are better, but you you can double the rugers as a hammer. I don't think you could go wrong with either. Save the bucks and buy a new Smith or Ruger or buy a used smith for the same price as you would pay for a Tauras.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Last edited by gadrooning; 08-16-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Old 08-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
jbd

Easy stick with a Smith or Ruger you will be happy you did.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 218 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 12

S&W K frame or a Ruger Security Six or GP-100 series.
4", adjustable sights. Everybody should have at least one.
I've got a couple of model 19 Smith's and a
Ruger. Might consider a Taurus, would only get a Rossi if
someone paid me to take it.

If you are going to shoot it a LOT with full power loads, go with a L or N
frame gun.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #10

my revolver experience is as follows: S&W model 60 (5 shot, 2" barrel), S&W 686 (7 shot, 3" barrel), and Ruger GP100 (6 shot, 4" barrel). the 686 had the best trigger pull, but the GP100 was the most comfortable to shoot. My next purchase will be the GP100, it's the best combo of quality and affordability.