Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   S&w 34-1 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/s-w-34-1-a-40512/)

JTJ 03-30-2011 04:15 AM

S&w 34-1

My daughter gave me back my 4" S&W 34-1. It seems it is not functioning very well. She was having a number of misfires. She took it to a gunsmith :rolleyes: and he was not able to fix it. I will try it out first but I am trying to decide if I should take it to the local decent gunsmith or ship it to S&W. She also wore some of the blue off at the muzzle. It was a lot nicer and working perfectly when she decided it was hers.

robocop10mm 03-30-2011 01:17 PM

It may not be the gun. .22 rimfire ammo is notorious for the priming compound drying out and falling out of the rim in places, causing misfires. Try some fresh, quality ammo and see how she does.

JTJ 04-04-2011 12:39 AM

I have not had a chance to get it to the range but I put 5 rounds of CCI CB in it this morning. No misfires and good firing pin dents. I am glad to have it back after 20 some years but she was brutal with it. Probably just dropped it in her purse with all the junk women keep in them. It looks like the cylinder was riding on her keys. Her husband probably gave her cheap bulk ammo to shoot.

JTJ 04-09-2011 07:41 PM

Took the 34 to the range today and put 100 rounds through it. The cylinder is bored very tight. Mini Mags went in and so did the Aguilas. Bulk Winchester had to be pushed. It took a little effort to make sure they were properly seated. If not, the cylinder was hard to close and rotate. Also caused a light hammer strike as the round moved forward. A couple of misfires on the Winchester and one misfire on an Aguila but all fired on 2nd try. 1st strike on the Winchesters was light. The strike on the Aguila was good but primer was not so good. It is a nice little revolver. Just have to make sure the rounds are properly seated. Aguila has a funny smell to it. I will have to paint the front sight as I could barely see it against the black target.

c3shooter 04-10-2011 01:27 AM

(Shudder) II hate to bring this up, but have the chamber mouths been dinged? While S&Ws should be able to be dry fired, rimfires are notorious for denting the edge of the mouth, making it hard to chamber (and hammer loses force pushing round forward) Examine fired, extracted brass, look for a scratch mark running length of case.

If it is there, do NOT try to de-burr chamber- come back, we'll talk some more.

JTJ 04-10-2011 02:54 PM

I checked the cylinder for burrs and it is clean. Mini Mags slide right in and drop right out. I just had problems with the Winchester bulk. They would not work in my 10-22s either. I was going to use them up in my bolt or slide but tried them in the revolver. Now I know why I had problems in the Rugers.