Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&W 32 Railroad Gun???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default S&W 32 Railroad Gun???

My dad & I just picked up a .32 S&W revolver, serial # 8527. I can't seem to find anything on the guns age/production #'s. Under a grip is etched "1929 GNRY". The ole fella we got it from (retired railroad) said it belonged to a railroad inspector way back when. The handle is etched with the inspectors initials "J.R. Roundy". The grips are stamped "U.S." and the top of the barrel is stamped "SD GNRY CO".
Can anyone enlighten me as to what I have here??? Thank you
Warren

gun.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-30-2008, 06:07 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

US Revolver Company was a bargin line under the umbrella of Iver Johnson. They lacked the transfer bar safety of the IJ's and are unsafe to carry with the hammer down on a loaded chamber. With the proper documentation, the revolver MIGHT have some value to the right collector. Reality is, it is probably worth about $75-100.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:26 PM   #3

Default 32 Railroad revolver S&W ??

So...what exactly is it then..it's not a S&W I assume (just caliber), it's a U.S. Revolver?? Can you tell me anything more about it??

Old 08-04-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2554 Times on 1341 Posts
Likes Given: 192

Google US revolver company. From what I understand they were the Chevrolet to Iver Johnson's Buick. Bare bones, no transfer bar safety. Common idea for the time to not put your premium logo on a basic product so the base model does not tarnish the reputation of the higher end product. Not many folks remember that GM had their lines graduated from basic to high end Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Cadillac. Each line had more frills than the "lesser" line. Chevy had more hosepower and less amenities (more thrills and less frills) than the others. Now GM lines compete with each other. I thinks the old business model had alot going for it.

Old 08-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #5

Default rail

Sounds like Great Northern Rail Road.