Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   S&W 317 Airlite .22 Snub (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/s-w-317-airlite-22-snub-21889/)

ninjatoth 01-06-2010 07:51 PM

S&W 317 Airlite .22 Snub

Does anyone else like this gun?I got my eye on one and I don't have any special need for it-I just like it.The simple fact is that I like snub nose revolvers,and I like a good shooting challenge,so naturally a .22 is the cheapest way to feed such a useless liking.And being at around 10 ounces,it seems as if it would simulate a larger caliber-it would recoil a good deal,and being a snub-would be pretty darn loud for being only a .22.I am getting a new gun to pair up with my Ruger 9mm,and I don't know whether to get a GP100 .357 and use it as a primary home defense gun/plinker-or to continue to use the Ruger 9mm for home defense and get the S&W 317 just as a toy-decisions,decisions-I can only afford one gun so I need to choose-lots of .22 fun,or more serious bragging rights/with a little fun?

tiberius10721 01-06-2010 08:34 PM

I'd go with the 357 just for the fact you can shoot 38 specials out of it also.

stalkingbear 01-06-2010 08:52 PM

If you had a bigger caliber snubby it would make a LOT of sense to buy the .22 to practice with. Since it's only going to be a toy, you'll get more practical use out of the GP100, and shoot cheap .38s in it when practicing. On the other hand you'll be able to shoot the .22 a LOT more. If it was me I'd choose the GP100-you'll have to decide which YOU want more.

ninjatoth 01-06-2010 09:02 PM

I more than likley will go with the GP100 4.2" simply because it's about $200 cheaper than the S&W .22,plus it's just cool and "in".If I got the .22 snub-even though I see it as awesome-alot of people would be like"what you get that for"?A fun fun day for me would be setting up a frying pan 200 yards away and seeing how many hits I can get on it with a snub nose-but that's just me,and isn't practical-but fun,as where I would never do that with a GP100,I would be seeing what I group at 7 yards and practice DA alot in a "serious"fashion.Do I want fun,or peace of mind right now?I don't know,I mean,I got the 9mm,but I don't trust it like the revolvers I used to have.

OC357 01-07-2010 01:38 AM

I think you should get the GP100. Look around for a .22 later.

As to the .22 revolver, a stubbie in .22 would not be much good in my opinion. You should look for one with a 6 inch barrel because it will be more accurate and you could actually use it for small game as well as target shooting. A "stubbie" is really a "Belly gun" and if you gotta have one then 38/357 would be much better.

Just my opinion.

OC

MB44 01-07-2010 11:26 AM

I gotta go with what Stalkingbear said. Get the GP100 first, and then get the 317. I got the same setup for Semi-Autos (SIG: Mosquito/P250), and for the same reasons: The .22 is for fun, and heaps of practice, and the bigger caliber is for carry/competition. Sweet little gun though,...

M14sRock 01-07-2010 03:27 PM

I have a 2" 317 and a 3" 317.

The 2" shows a preference for Winchester ammo (fixed sights required trying a large variety of ammo to find one that shot to POA). I got it when they came out to use as a backpacking gun, but found it a bit limited in the accuracy department (unless using the Win ammo). When they introduced the 3" I bought one because it had adjustable sights. The 3" is a great shooter.

But even with the super light frame there is essentially no recoil.

ninjatoth 01-11-2010 07:25 PM

I read that this gun has a titanium cylinder and an aluminum alloy frame.How well would this gun do with thousands of rounds run through it?Will it hold up well as if it were all steel?I really plan on shooting this gun alot simply because it is a .22.Should I trust in the S&W name alone,or should I get a steel revolver?

northhike 01-11-2010 08:05 PM

Another vote for the GP100. I have one and its my favorite hand gun. Both .38's and 357's shoot great out of this gun....its a tank.

canebrake 01-11-2010 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjatoth (Post 211358)
I read that this gun has a titanium cylinder and an aluminum alloy frame.How well would this gun do with thousands of rounds run through it?Will it hold up well as if it were all steel?I really plan on shooting this gun alot simply because it is a .22.Should I trust in the S&W name alone,or should I get a steel revolver?

It's a .22 for Christ’s sake!

It's a S&W for Christ’s sake!

Just get the gun for Christ's sake!