63 12 80.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default S&w .22

I am currently looking at 2 different S&W .22 revolvers.I want a short barreled challenging gun that I can put alot of rounds through.My 2 choices are the model 317 and the model 63.The 317 is 10.5oz,8 shot,1n7/8" barrel,fixed sights and titanium and aluminum alloy.The 63 is 26oz,8 shot,3" barrel,adjustable sights and stainless steel.My main concerns are if the aluminum alloy and titanium are as strong as stainless steel.I like both guns,but I like the looks of the 317 better-but I wonder if the 63 will be more durable.What do you think?

160222_large.jpg   162634_large.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2010, 04:28 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The 63 will be more durable, and overall a better range gun.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 01-20-2010, 06:14 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You'll enjoy shooting the model 63 a LOT more due to the adjustable sights. It's always more fun when you're hitting exactly where you aim, and the adjustable rear sight will allow you to zero it in for the ammo you're using. Also the all stainless steel version will outlast your kids.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

S&W's model 63 is the .22 revolver. I bought a 617 instead and I've regretted it ever since I tried out a 63.

Something I love about revolvers over semiautos (especially in .22) is that you can use any type of ammo you want without worrying about reliable feeding, so you can shoot whatever you find for a good price (something that's important to me since I like to plink a lot). This makes adjustable sights a great thing to have, since you can adjust them to suit any type of ammo.

Now hatred is by far the longest pleasure;
Men love in haste, but they detest at leisure.
- Lord Byron (George Gordon Noel Byron), Don Juan
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 01-21-2010, 12:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franciscomv View Post
S&W's model 63 is the .22 revolver. I bought a 617 instead and I've regretted it ever since I tried out a 63.

Something I love about revolvers over semiautos (especially in .22) is that you can use any type of ammo you want without worrying about reliable feeding, so you can shoot whatever you find for a good price (something that's important to me since I like to plink a lot). This makes adjustable sights a great thing to have, since you can adjust them to suit any type of ammo.
A .22 LR revolver is as good as it gets.I can shoot any variety of .22 short,long,long rifle,birdshot,cp caps,60 grain agilla ammo.The only thing that might keep me from getting the 63 is availability.The store I go to would probably have to order the 63,as where I know they got a perfectly good 317 sitting there . I like the 317 as is,I like the looks of a true fixed sight snub.The 63 looks tougher,and I like the styling,I just don't like the grips.I could see myself with a 63 with more traditional wood grips on it.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:49 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

63 all the way man. I'll echo Bear and tell you that the adjustable sights will allow you much more satisfaction out of your range sessions. Stainless is more durable and just feels good in your hands. I'm sure you can find some grips to fit that are more for your liking. 63

Old 01-21-2010, 03:03 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I will give you my biased opinion. I am an old revolver guy. I just got rid of my last auto. I like something with a little heft to it so I know I got something in my hand (hands) no matter what the caliber. I would go for the 63 in a heartbeat. (nothing wrong with the 317 but the 63 is so much more gun).

OC

"magbum"

Old 01-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #8

Thanks guys for the input.I will keep an eye out for a 63.I just don't want to make the wrong choice because I am going to be putting out alot of money for my next gun.I seen the 317 for $640,so I know that the 63 will be more than that,but even if I have to spend $100 more,I want to get the right gun that will last longer than my old Taurus 94 did.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:12 PM   #9

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Unless you're absolutely stuck on a short barrel, the 617 is probably the best .22 revolver on the market. While the J frame 63 & 317 are good, no J frame (which are coil spring powered) will ever have as good a trigger as the K/L frame 617 which use a leaf mainspring...

Old 01-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I have a 3" 317 and a 5" 617 as well as 4", 5" and 6" 617s. I plan to get the 3" 63 in the Spring when they become available.

The 317 is a sweet little gun, but I put it in the category of carry much, shoot little. I just have questions about its long term durability. I have no such concerns with the SS guns. I use my 63 quite a bit. Mine have nice triggers and are nicely accurate; probably not as accurate as the 617s, though. I also play with the 617s a lot. I also have a 17, but it has collector value now and I don't shoot it as much as the others. I find I really prefer SS.