Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Revolver Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/)
-   -   S&W 19, recrown or not? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f16/s-w-19-recrown-not-37054/)

spittinfire 01-18-2011 04:51 PM

S&W 19, recrown or not?
 
Most of you have seen pictures of my 19 and thanks to my own stupid actions there is a small burr on the very edge of the bore. A very gentle recrown would make it go away but I was curious as to what it would do the to value. I don't have the box and I do shoot it but it's the cleanest 19 I've ever seen personally which makes it harder for me but I can only blame myself. What do you guys think?

NGIB 01-18-2011 05:18 PM

Spitty, you only have to consider the value if you think you'll part with it. Get your baby fixed and continue to enjoy it...

spittinfire 01-18-2011 05:29 PM

I wish I could find a barrel but my searches have turned up nothing. How much do you think it will hurt the value with a recrown?

NGIB 01-18-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 424520)
I wish I could find a barrel but my searches have turned up nothing. How much do you think it will hurt the value with a recrown?

If done by a good smith - nothing at all...

spittinfire 01-18-2011 06:30 PM

Made a bunch of phone calls for a barrel and got nothing. I need to find a good smith in the area.

NGIB 01-18-2011 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 424587)
Made a bunch of phone calls for a barrel and got nothing. I need to find a good smith in the area.

ROAD TRIP! Run over and see Bear!

CA357 01-18-2011 07:02 PM

You could send it to S&W service and have them do the recrown.

spittinfire 01-18-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 424627)
You could send it to S&W service and have them do the recrown.

I need to look into this option. I just read on another forum where a guy sent a 19 back to S&W with a cracked cone and they said they couldn't fix it so they gave him a new 686 and scrapped the 19. I almost fell over....the 19 was nice and the parts could have saved others from death or I'm sure someone has a forcing cone for one.

Gatekeeper 01-18-2011 10:44 PM

How does it shoot Spitty?

Sometimes a nicked crown won't affect accuracy much or at all.
If accuracy suffers, how deep is the nick? Does the crown need to be recut or can you just polish it out?

Squirrel_Slayer 01-18-2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatekeeper (Post 424781)
How does it shoot Spitty?

Sometimes a nicked crown won't affect accuracy much or at all.
If accuracy suffers, how deep is the nick? Does the crown need to be recut or can you just polish it out?

Deepends on whether or not the imperfection contacts the rifling. So how bout it Spitty? I have read that re-crowns are not that expensive. If it doesn't touch the rifling I don't know that I would mess with it for the moment.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:32 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.