S&W 19-5 help, opinion, & info
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > S&W 19-5 help, opinion, & info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default S&W 19-5 help, opinion, & info

There's a blued 4" one at a local pawn shop for under $200.00 that I was looking at. She's been abused and has rust pits at the end of the barrel on the outside and the bluing may be 60%. The cylinders and rifling look ok. Now to the questions:
With serial number 193Kxxx, when was it made?
What else should I look for to see if it's safe to fire? The cylinder seems to be in time and locks up tight.
I would say it's overall condition is poor to fair so what is the value?

I'm looking to reduce the number of calibers I stockup on so I've settled on .38 spl & .45 acp for handguns but with a .357 mag, I can still "cheat" a little.

I've spotted another S&W .38 spl, 4" barrel at another pawn shop that is in excellent shape but I don't remember the model # or price, it's hell getting old.

Retired Navy.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-01-2012, 01:32 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Check the top strap just above the cylinder gap. You will see a bit of flame cutting (probably). A couple of thousandths of an inch is ok, b ut it should not be too deep.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #3

Liked 743 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 232

$200 sounds cheap and most pawn shops can be haggled with.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9215 Times on 3975 Posts
Likes Given: 1441

I THINK that was 1981. Gun Traders Guide list the Model 19 blued 4 inch at $220 for "Good" condition. If you do not have excessive flame cutting on top strap, and cylinder locks up tight at full cock, everything functions as it should, around $200 might be in the ballpark.

Have cash in hand (green folding money) offer them $175, see what happens. Worst is he will tell you that you are a cheap SOB- at which point you agree with him wholeheartedly, and what about $175?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

+1 to c3. I like how he thinks!

I also would try to offer him $175 and be willing to go to $200. The gun can easily be refurbished by a good gunsmith. Then, you will have a fine revolver that you obtained for a reasonable cost. This is fast becoming a difficult thing to accomplish. I, myself, want a K frame .357, used preferably because I'm a cheap SOB on occassion ( which is usually only when I don't have the money. Just look at my bills and you'll see what I mean. ), but cannot find one yet at the right price. The only time I did find one, I didn't have the ready cash in hand. I've regretted it since that day. Should have begged, borrowed, or stole.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:16 AM   #6

Thanks for the info/input. I've been reading about problems with the forcing cone on revolvers cracking? I can't remember but this one looked ok but may have had some pitting. As for the flame cutting, is this due to primarily shooting the lower weight mag rounds? Anyway, I'll more than likely take my cleaning kit, bore light, and magnifying kit.

Retired Navy.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:06 AM   #7

Liked 79 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 27

TinCan, the cracked forcing cones came from shooting the light bullet, high speed .357 Magnum ammo. Usually at bottom dead center on the rear of the barrel and should show like a diamond in a goat's nose. To my knowledge, replacement barrels are NOT available. Flame cutting comes from the light bullet loads as well. Something about the flame temperature of the powder charge. As mentioned, some marking is acceptable, a definite 'cut' is not.

This - I believe - is an unpinned barrel gun; the later edition. They're shootable, but not the desirable revolver of the earlier types. Still, $200 for a complete and shootable M19 isn't bad. I'd go for it, but only after offering $175 or so.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

Old 04-09-2012, 03:28 AM   #8

Again, thanks for the info. I was able to look at it again the other day and it possibly has some very light flame cutting, almost a scratch and the forcing cone doesn't have any cracks or pitting. The bluing is pretty much gone on the right side of frame under the cylinder and on that side of the trigger guard. The grips are fine and the bore is clean and it does lock up tight in SA and DA. The adjustable sight has some heavy rusting on the left side and there is quite a bit of pitting (1/2" to 1" band) around the barrel end. It's definitely in need of some serious cleaning. They've had this revolver in the display case 6-9 months now. Don't worry, I'll definitely work on getting the price down.

Retired Navy.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:16 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Tincan:
If you should want to, you can send the gun to S&W and have it
re-blued )I wouldn't send it anywhere else). It will look like new
when you get it back. S&W will also replace any worn parts that
might cause a safety issue. If you decide you don't want it just
PM me where I can find it and I will go get it. 35 miles isn't all
that far to drive.