Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Revolver Handguns > Russian Revolver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Russian Revolver

Does anyone know anything about these guns?
http://www.jgsales.com/russian-1895-nagant-revolver,-in-7.62-nagant-caliber.-p-1059.html

I ran across it while looking for a revolver thats affordable for my mom

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-16-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7610 Times on 3314 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

Unless your mom is a weight lifter, is on the Women's Shot Put Team from Estonia, and has a crushing handshake- that is PROBABLY not the gun for her.

The Nagant revolver has a rather unique action- as it cocks, the cylinder is moved FORWARD, sealing over the end of the barrel. While this really reduces cylinder gap flash, and improves velocity, it has the effect of creating a REALLY rough trigger pull. Many of these are double action only, and the ammo can be a little difficult to find locally (you ain't)

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #3

Liked 180 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 184

plus there are way better options ballistic wise esp for home defense, hunting, or really anything. Probably be better off getting 45, 9mm, 38 special, or maybe even a 357 mag if she can handle it. The nagant revolver isn't a bad revolver they're just not great for some people, if shes just wanting something like a target pistol and she's really sensitive to recoil taurus makes a tracker in 17hmr, not awesome for defense but better then a 22lr (in my opinion).

If you ever want a silenced revolver a nagant would be the way to go because of the gas sealing system.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 02-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #4

Cool thanks

Old 02-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #5

Liked 359 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 167

It's definitely a revolver that goes good with Mosin Nagant rifle though.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5682 Times on 3336 Posts
Likes Given: 4821

They do/did have some police trade-in .38's for about $150 at J&G, Taurus's. That would be a good basic self defense firearm. Most complaints i've heard about Tauri related to a problem that surfaced right away, so the cops who carried these probably already had that problem fixed.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 03-10-2012, 01:19 AM   #7

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I got my first Russian 1895 Nagant (1944 Model) from a pal at a pawnshop, had been laying somewhere in some water and rusted some on one side, missing firing pin, ejector rod, spring & screw as well as grip screws. Found these parts at "Buymilsurp.com" and got it together minus the rust and with a dab of 44-40 Cold Blue...It had a weird cylinder but I fired a few .32 Short cartridges. The cylinder was worn and wouldn't index into battery without a helping hand. I later learned the cylinder was an after market .32 Auto one and I fired a few of those.

I liked this antique Russian revolver and had my pal order me one that was advertised to be in super condition, it was. It was made in 1932 and had been refurbed and was great in every way. It fired 7.62X38r ammo and I found some Privi ammo in a local gun store. And these two Nagants are great looking, fun to shoot and although no real powerful caliber, they could be lethal with well placed shots. And I now reload the fired Privi brass using 30 Carbine dies. I use regular small pistol primers, 3.5 grains of IMR Trail Boss gunpowder and Hornady XTP .32 caliber jacketed hollowpoints resized to .309 with a Lee resizer. I used borrowed Lee 30 Carbine dies but bought some RCBS 30 Carbine dies I like better. These pistols are accurate !

NRA Lifer Since 1968
Former USMC
Former Texas NG

Old 03-10-2012, 01:46 AM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1258 Times on 710 Posts
Likes Given: 442

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AP762Nag&name=Prvi+Partizan+PPU+ 7.62+Nagant+98grn+FPJ+50rd+Box&groupid=124

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.